Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603 | 508-752-7489
Office Hours: 9 am - 2 pm | Tues., Thurs., Fri.
Get Member Portal HELP | See Portal FAQs
WELCOME! We thank God for each and every young person who enrolls in our Faith Formation Programs. Every child is welcome at Hadwen Park Church, regardless of family faith traditions or church membership.
- What do we want our children to learn?
Our hope is that our children will learn to listen for the words of God and the teachings of Jesus, and so learn to build a strong foundation for a faithful life.
Our children will grow to:
Discover the important truths we find in the Bible.
Recognize their gifts and opportunities to do God’s work in the world. Embrace the inherent worth and dignity of all people.
Build a strong personal faith based on the teachings of Christ.
Share joy in worship and in faithful community with others in church and in life.
- What lessons do we teach?
We look forward to having fun with our learners, balancing table time with active learning - both of our programs, from Sparkhouse, are very clever. Activities are fresh and smart, and we are certain the kids enjoy them!
Most Sundays, we begin in Fellowship Hall downstairs with singing.
Our curriculum for age 3/PreK through first grade uses a slick and silly DVD and supporting activities to offer a modern faith formation program. Holy Moly is a Bible story program with lessons that appeal to the kids in this age group. This structure for learning is agile and responsive to our many learning styles. There is a mix of table time and active learning. We have fun!
Our curriculum for 2nd through 4th grades is based on the lectionary to connect the kids with the Bible texts used in worship. Whirl helps kids understand how to live out their faith with engaging videos with animated characters modelling what it's like for kids.
Young adults in middle school (grades 5-7) use the ‘re:form Ancestors’ curriculum. Designed for middle and high school youth, re:form uses a slightly irreverent DVD and upbeat activities to engage kids, foster their growing faith, and encourage them to build community. Bible characters are presented as ordinary people, with faults and failures as well as faith-people the learners may identify with.
For more information about either of these curricula, look here:
FAMILY EVENTS: Families are important to Hadwen Park Church! Throughout the year, there will be many chances for your family to be active in the church community. If you are new to us, or just looking, these are wonderful activities to give you a sense of who we are and what we do. Here is a short sample of what we have planned:
- THE CHRISTMAS PAGEANT: The Christmas Pageant, starring HPC Kids, will be on Sunday, December 15, at 4:00 p.m. Everyone is welcome to attend this beautiful retelling of the story of Jesus’ birth.
- VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL: Summertime week-day fun, for age 3 through grade 5, with kids in grades 6-8 serving as shepherds. Summer 2019 took us to the Wild, Wild West, to learn that Jesus, the Light of the World, helps us do amazing things. We sang, played, crawled through a maze, and had a wonderful time together. VBS 2020 will be held July 13-17, 9 a.m. to noon, at HPC. Look for more information in the spring!
- CHILDREN’S CHURCH: During worship in the summer months, this is a special faith formation program with the emphasis on fun! Primarily for kids age 3 through entering grade 5, we sing and play together, learning important faith lessons in a casual environment. Sometimes we even get wet! Hooray for summer!
- EASTER EGG HUNT: Easter Saturday morning, join us for an Easter Egg Hunt! Games, snacks, and fun!
Meet Pastor Sarah!
Sarah Sund-Lussier, a
long-time member of HPC,
became our Associate Pastor for
Faith Formation in February 2019.
Sarah is a graduate of Andover Newtown
Theological School and was ordained in
April 2019. With her background and her love of children, she is a vital asset to our education ministry and a beloved member of our staff. Sarah lives in Oxford with her wife and two growing sons. Come meet her. You and your children are sure to love her, too!