Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603
Office Hours: 9am - 2 pm
Mon., Wed., Fri.
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Betty Jane,
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. for
worship. Nursery care for infants
through 3-year-olds, staffed by a
professional child care worker, is available in the nursery just off the sanctuary. Parents may leave their children at 9:45 and must pick them up by 15 minutes after the close of the service. September thru mid-May, children aged 3 through high school sit with their parents/guardians in worship until excused to their Sunday School classes. (On Communion Sundays, grades 6-8 remain in the sanctuary throughout the service.) At 11 a.m., a time for fellowship and refreshments follows worship. All are welcome. Look for more information on the events below either here or on our Facebook page. Or contact the church office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturday, April 28 - Church Supper & Talent Show, 5 p.m. Got talent? (See below.)
- Sunday, April 29 - New Member Sunday Worship & Sunday School, 10 a.m. (Choir Practice, 8:45; Kids Choir, 9:30 - Please be prompt.)
- Sunday, April 29 - Confirmation Class, 11 a.m.Saturday, May 5 - Yoga for All with Al Green, 10 a.m.
- Thursday, May 3 - Balanced Workshop, 7 p.m. (See more on this page.)
- Sunday, May 6 - Confirmation Sunday Worship, 10 a.m. (No Sunday School or Choir practices); Jr. Youth Group, 11 a.m.
- Thursday, May 10 - Balanced Workshop, 7 p.m. (See more on this page.)
- Saturday, May 12 - Youth Missions Pizza & Movie fundraiser, 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, May 13 - Children's Sunday Worship with a Baptism, 10 a.m. (Kids Choir, 9 a.m. - please be prompt; no Senior Choir practice)
- Thursday, May 17 - Balanced Workshop, 7 p.m. (See more on this page.)
- Sunday, May 20 - Music Sunday & Pentecost Worship featuring organist Mark Thallander, 10 a.m. (Choir practice, 8:30; Kids Choir, 9:30; no Sunday School - Please be prompt.)
- Sunday, May 20 - Farewell Luncheon for our longtime administrative assistant following worship: Thank you, Betty Jane!
- Thursday, May 24 - Balanced Workshop, 7 p.m. (See more on this page.)
- Sunday, May 27 - Worship & Sunday School, 10 a.m. (Choir practice, 8:45; Kids Choir, 9:30 - Please be prompt.)
- Thursday, May 31 - Balanced Workshop, 7 p.m. (See more on this page.)
Remember a special
person or event.
There are dates available on the flower calendar. Why not provide flowers for the communion table in memory or honor of a loved one or in celebration of a special event? The calendar is posted in the narthex as you enter the church. Add your name to the date you want, fill out a form and leave it and a check ($25/2 vases, $12.50/1 vase) in the inbox outside BJ's office or mail it to the church. You may also bring your own flowers; just be sure to sign up and that the flowers are in place by 9:30 before worship begins.
Join one of our youth groups or the fun of it!
Joanne and Michael head up the Junior High Youth Group for 5th-7th graders. They meet 11 a.m. (following worship) until 12:45 p.m. Contact them to be on their list to contact about activities. Ralph will lead the Senior High Youth Group for 8th-12th graders beginning at 1 p.m. following the Confirmation Class. If you are interested in joining, please let him know so he can add you to the contact list.
Come sing every
All ages and abilities of singers are invited to join the First Sunday Pick-up Choir. Come at 8:45 a.m. and learn the music to sing at the 10 a.m. service that day.
If you can make the commitment to practice at 7 p.m. every Wednesday and at 8:45 a.m. every Sunday, you are invited to join the Adult Choir that sings each Sunday.
Children are invited to come each Sunday at 9:30 a.m. for a 15-minute practice. (Don’t be late!) The Kids Choir sings in worship as often as possible.
All rehearsals are held in the sanctuary. Contact Annie for more information.
HPC Food Pantry
Needs Your Help
- Donations: Our Food Pantry is continually in use by those in need. Thus, it is always open to donations of non-perishable items. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Or pick up one of the specially marked bags in our Narthex or on the stair landing. Bring your donations when you come to worship. Or write a check to HPC with "Food Pantry" in the memo line and put it in the offering plate. Think of it as an offering of thanks to God.
- Volunteering: Are you available on Mondays or Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.? Sign up for a day to staff the Pantry. See a description of the need and instructions for signing up on the Food Pantry Page.
Looking ahead . . .
Put these dates on your calendar:
- Saturday, July 21 - Annual HPC Fun Day, beginning at 10 a.m., Buffumville Pond, 229 Oxford Road, Charlton MA (Sponsored by Health & Wellness Committee)
- Monday, July 23-Friday, July 27 - Vacation Bible School, 9 a.m. to noon each day
- Sunday, July 28 - Saturday, August 4 - Youth Missions Trip to Imperial, PA
- Saturday, October 27 - LGBT Task Force Gala, DCU Center Ballroom
Support our Youth Missionaries!
For the eighth year, Hadwen Park youth will give up a week of their summer vacation to serve those in need. In July, they will go to Imperial, PA to repair the homes of elderly, disabled and low-income people. Among other projects, they will paint, repair decks and build wheelchair ramps. This is an important life-changing service for both our youth and the residents they serve.
You can support them by participating in any of the fundraisers they hold, so watch the church newsletter, Facebook page and this webpage for those events and campaigns. Thank you!
Get Financially Balanced
How to manage your money in God's way and how to apply generosity to your life.
A six-part video series titled "Balanced: Gaining and Maintaining Financial Stability" and a three-part video series on being generous, titled "Crazy Like Us" will be held on Thursdays, beginning on May 3. (For a description of each of the "Balanced" sessions, click here.)
Learn the steps toward achieving the freedom and contentment that comes with being financially balanced. Each session is based on books by Andy Stanley and will be led by Lori and Michelle Wentworth.
Christ is Risen! He is Risen, indeed!
HPC's Easter Sunday Service was welcoming, joyous, spirit-filled, musical, inclusive and inspiring. How wonderful to worship and in communion with so many old and new friends.
Baptisms & Testimonies!
On the third Sunday of Eastertide (April 15), two young men of the congregation were baptized, the ministry director of our LGBT Asylum Task Force told his personal story, two asylees sang of their faith, and Pastor Judy related the history of the Task Force and described its work. Eastertide: a season of renewal and new beginnings! (For more photos, visit our Facebook page.