Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603
Office Hours: 9am - 2 pm
Mon., Wed., Fri.
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Betty Jane,
Hunger is always with us.
Our Food Pantry is continually in use by those in need. Thus, it is always in need of non-perishable items. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Bring your donations when you come to worship. They are an offering of thanks to God.
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. for
worship. A nursery is available for
infants through 2-year-olds; parents may
watch their fussy children in the nursery and still hear the service. Children aged 3 through high school sit with their parents in worship until excused to their Church School classes (through the end of May unless otherwise noted). A time for fellowship and refreshments follows worship at 11 a.m. All are welcome. Watch for more information on these and other events which will be posted as details become available. Or contact the church office at email@example.com.
- Sunday, May 29 - Worship & Church School, 10 a.m. (The choirs are on vacation today.)
- Sunday, June 5, - Worship with Communion & Church School, 10 a.m. (Pick-up Choir practices at 8:45 a.m.)
- Saturday, June 11 - Pastor Judy receives the Open Door Award, 10 a.m., Old South Church, Boston. (Arrive at the church by 9:30; plan to stay after and join the Boston Pride Parade.) See Diane Williams' column below. A bus is being organized ($20 per person); contact Susanna immediately if you'd like to be on it!
- Sunday, June 12 - Church School Sunday, 10 a.m. Theme: "Our Bible, A Book of Stories." In addition to the children's program, the children's choir will sing and the Youth Missionaries will dance. Bring your family to support our terrific kids! (Singers should arrive by 9 a.m. to rehearse.)
- Saturday, June 18 - Youth Group Yard Sale, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Lunch (hamburger or hot dog, chips & soda for $5) and ice cream will be available as well as baked goods. Please start saving clean, good-condition household items to donate or sell from your own table. For more information or to reserve a table ($10), contact Ralph. Proceeds help our Food Pantry and the Mission Trips.
- Sunday, June 19 - Family Worship, 10 a.m. (Pick-up Choir rehearses at 8:45 a.m.) The Church School is on vacation!
- Sunday, June 16 - Family Worship, 10 a.m. (Pick-up Choir rehearses at 8:45 a.m.)
Remember a special
person or event.
There are dates available on the flower calendar. Why not provide flowers for the communion table in memory or honor of a loved one or in celebration of a special event? The calendar is posted in the narthex as you enter the church. Add your name to the date you want, fill out a form and leave it and a check ($25/2 vases, $12.50/1 vase) in the inbox outside BJ's office or mail it to the church. You may also bring your own flowers; just be sure to sign up and that the flowers are in place by 9:30 before worship begins.
More dates for your Calendar!
- Monday-Friday, July 11-12 - VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL, 9 a.m. to noon each day. Registration forms are available through the church office. Anyone interested in helping with VBS 2016 should email Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We welcome kids!
- The Children's Choir practices most Sundays at 9:30 a.m. in the Sanctuary with our Minister of Music Annie Arsenault. Please be sure your children arrive promptly.
- All children begin each Sunday in worship at 10 a.m. and will be escorted to their classes by their teachers at a predetermined time in the service.
- The Church School is currently using the "Deep Blue" curriculum. Children age 3 - grade 4 meet downstairs; those in 5th - 12th grade meet upstairs.
- If you think you might like to be a teacher (a one-month commitment), please contact Joanne.
Calling all young people!
Hadwen Park Church has vibrant
Church School and youth programs thanks
to very dedicated teachers, committee members,
advisers and the young people themselves. Volunteers are always welcome to help out.
Our Youth Group often meets after worship for a variety of growth- and faith-oriented activities and community-building fun events. They are also found doing various service and fund-raising projectsl.
In the summer, some of our young people take part in HPC-sponsored weeks of community service.
- Sunday-Friday, July 17-22 - Week of Hope mission trip for ages 10-13, York PA
Making your summer plans?
Here's a suggestion from some very starry-eyed folks!
Cindy & Sam and Steve & Joan think you'll love a week, a weekend or even just a day trip to Star Island, a United Church of Christ retreat and conference center off the coast of Portsmouth NH. They'll be happy to tell you about the programs held there for youth and adults and about all the island's wonderful amenities. Click here for an information sheet about this year's events sponsored by the UCC and for their contact information. For information about other conferences and more general information go to www.starisland.org.
Give Star Island a try this summer - You WILL Come Back!
HPC Recovery Support Group helps anyone who is struggling
Designed for anyone dealing with an addiction or a compulsion or with any challenge they find hard to overcome (or for those who care about those who are struggling), this group meets every Friday at 7 p.m. in the church conference room. Come to find support and guidance from others who struggle. Speak if you wish, but know your words will not be repeated outside the group. Find no judgement, no discrimination . . . only support. Contact the church office for more information: 508.752.7489 or theplaceof email@example.com.
Susan Crimer was welcomed to
the position of Christian Education
Director during worship on May 1.
After we asked God's blessings
on her ministry among us,
Susan shared some of her life story and her philosophy of Christian faith formation. (A longtime UCC member, Susan brings many years of experience in Christian Education to our church and has many ideas for our Church School and youth programming. Susan and her husband Dennis live in Sterling. They have three adult children and "one very sassy cat.") We also celebrated our children and shared Communion. It was a wonderful service full of joy, music and prayer.
Pentecost was full of Spirit . . .
We celebrated more than the coming of the Holy Spirit this Pentecost, May 15! Wearing red, the liturgical color of Pentecost, we celebrated not only the birthday of the church, but the 85th birthday of a long-time member, the birth into our church family of new members, and our denomination's Mental Health Sunday. It was cool and breezy outside, but the breath of the Spirit was warm and embracing inside!
Our Minister of Music, Anne Arsenault, helped us harmonize on an "old chestnut."
Music Sunday, May 22, was a little different this year.
Several choir members conducted the service on Music Sunday. The congregation suggested and sang the hymns interspersed among the spoken words. The Music Committee provided lunch after the service. A concert with anthems by the choir, classical pieces by Annie and Emily on piano and harp, respectively, and a performance by The Marshall Pass followed lunch. Thanks to all our musicians for sharing their gifts with us throughout the year and on this special day and to the Committee for planning this special day. More photos are on our Facebook page.