Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603 | 508-752-7489
Office Hours: 9 am - 2 pm | Wed., Thurs., Fri.
Get Member Portal HELP | See Portal FAQs
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Sharon,
Fall Worship & Events
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m.
All are welcome!
- Mid-September thru late-May: Children aged 3 - grade 8 attend Sunday School classes during worship. Late-May thru mid-September, children attend worship with their families and are invited to Children’s Church during the sermon for stories and activities.
- Throughout the year, a time for fellowship and refreshments is held downstairs after worship.
- Saturday, November 16 - Confirmation/Bible 101 Session, 4 p.m. (See details on this page.)
- Sunday, November 17 - Worship with a Baptism & Sunday School, 10 a.m. (Choir rehearses at 9 a.m.)
- Sunday, November 17 - Sr. Youth Group, 11:30 a.m.
- Saturday, November 23 - Confirmation/Bible 101 Session, 4 p.m. (See details on this page.)
- Sunday, November 24 - Worship & Sunday School, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, November 24 - Confirmation Class, 11 a.m.; Youth Group Pie Sale, 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 26 - Thanksgiving Basket Prep, 8 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 27 - Thanksgiving Service, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, November 30 - Confirmation/Bible 101 Session, 4 p.m. (See details on this page.)
Remember a special
person or event.
There are dates available on the flower calendar. Why not provide flowers for the communion table in memory or honor of a loved one or in celebration of a special event? The calendar is posted in the narthex as you enter the church. Add your name to the date you want, fill out a form and leave it and a check ($25/2 vases, $12.50/1 vase) in the inbox outside the church office or mail it to the church. You may also bring your own flowers; just be sure to sign up and that the flowers are in place by 9:30 before worship begins.
Help the HPC Food Pantry
feed hungry neighbors!
- Donations: Our Food Pantry is continually in use by those in need. Thus, it is always open to donations of non-perishable items. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Or pick up one of the specially marked bags in our Narthex or on the stair landing. Bring your donations when you come to worship. Or write a check to HPC with "Food Pantry" in the memo line and put it in the offering plate. Think of it as an offering of thanks to God.
- Volunteering: Are you available on Mondays or Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.? Sign up for a day to staff the Pantry. See a description of the need and instructions for signing up on the Food Pantry Page.
Save these dates:
Saturday, November 30 - Greening of the Church, 9 a.m.
Sunday, December 1 - Mitten Tree Gift Tags Available
Friday, November 15 - Adult Fellowship Potluck & Program (Steve Hubbard will show & tell about stargazing in Chili.)
Thursday, December 5 - Blue Christmas Service, 7 p.m.
Sunday, December 8 - All-Church Caroling to our Homebound, 11:30 a.m. to ??
Saturday, December 12 - Scout Holiday Craft Fair, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Christmas wreaths and crafts for sale.)
Sunday, December 15 - Christmas Pageant, 4 p.m.
Sunday, December 22 - Christmas Music Service, 10 a.m.
Sunday, December 22 - Youth Cookie Hop, 11 a.m. (Get your Christmas cookies here!
Tuesday, December 24 - Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, 11 p.m.
Sunday, January 19 - Youth Group Hot Dog Fundraiser, 11 a.m.
Sunday, February 2 - Super Bowl of Chili Sale, 11 a.m. (Don't forget to order yours!)
Wednesday, February 26 - Ash Wednesday Service, 7 p.m.
Thursday, April 9 - Maundy Thursday Service, 7 p.m.
Saturday, May 2 - Spaghetti Supper & Talent Show, 5 p.m.
Sunday, May 17 - Children's Sunday Service, 10 a.m.
Sunday, May 31 - Pentecost & Confirmation Sunday, 10 a.m.
Monday - Friday, July 13-17 - Vacation Bible School
Sunday - Saturday, July 19-25 - Youth Mission Trip (Rochester, NY)
Think you are pretty open-minded?
Want to be sure?
The Missions & Social Justice Committee is
sponsoring a book discussion series on
White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo and Michael Eric Dyson. Beginning on Thursday, November 7 at 7 p.m. at the church, you are invited to unpack the terms “implicit bias” and “implicit racism,” explore if you have these, where they may have come from, and how to deal with them. MaryLynn Saul and Susan Crimer will facilitate the discussion. Books may be purchased at Barnes & Noble or on Amazon (in paperback or Kindle, ISBN: 978 0 8070 4741 5). Join us!
Thanksgiving is coming!
And with it, our annual collection to buy food for the 50 or so baskets with everything needed for a Thanksgiving feast that we give to needy families in our area. The food in each basket costs approximately $30. Your check in any amount will help us help others. Make checks out to Hadwen Park Church with "Thanksgiving Baskets" in the memo line and drop it in the offering plate on Sunday or mail to the church office. If you are free on Wednesday, November 26 from 8-9 a.m., come to the church to help fill the baskets. And, thank you!
Welcome to our new members!
On October 27, New Member Sunday, 15 people (2 in absentia) joined our family of faith. From just around the corner and from halfway around the world they came seeking a community of believers who strive for justice and embrace diversity. The service included readings by confirmands, the testimony of an asylum seeker, a sermon and prayers by our pastor, choral music, and enthusiasm from the congregation. It closed with hugs, handshakes, and cake and coffee downstairs. We are blessed and enriched by the presence of these new brothers and sisters.
Need a refresher course?
Has it been a while since you were in Confirmation Class or learned Bible basics? Want to rediscover what you once knew about the Christian faith, the church universal, this church, who wrote the Bible, how it’s organized, etc.? Come to a six-week series called “Confirmation/Bible 101” that will meet on Saturdays at 4 p.m. at HPC. Co-led by Pastor Sarah and Pastor Judy, the sessions will include study, prayer and fellowship, and be held on November 16, 23, 30 and December 7, 14, 21. All are welcome.