Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603
Office Hours: 9am - 2 pm
Mon., Wed., Fri.
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Betty Jane,
Hunger is always with us.
Our Food Pantry is continually in use by those
in need. Thus, it is always open to donations of
non-perishable items. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Or pick up one of the specially marked bags in our Narthex or on the stair landing. Bring your donations when you come to worship. They are an offering of thanks to God.
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. for
worship. A nursery is available for
infants through 2-year-olds; parents may
watch their fussy children in the nursery and still hear the service. September - May, children aged 3 through high school sit with their parents/guardians in worship until excused to their Church School classes. June - August, children attend worship with their parents/guardians, there will be a children's sermon. A time for fellowship and refreshments follows worship at 11 a.m. All are welcome. Watch for more information on these and other events which will be posted as details become available. Or contact the church office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunday, July 24 - Family Worship with Commissioning of older Youth Missionaries, 10 a.m. - Guest Preacher: The Rev. Dr. Sam Young. Special report by Week of Hope youth missionaries. Children's sermon. (Pick-up Choir rehearses at 8:45 a.m.*)
- Sunday, July 31 - Family Worship, 10 a.m. - Guest Preacher: The Rev. Dr. Sam Young. (Pick-up Choir rehearses at 8:45 a.m.*)
- Sunday, July 31 - Saturday, August 6, HPC Youth Missionaries, age 14 and up, and their advisors rehab homes in Bryn Athyn, PA for the elderly, disabled and/or economically disadvantaged. Keep them close in prayer.
- Sunday, August 7 - Family Worship with Communion, 10 a.m. - Guest Preacher: Sarah Sund-Lucier, seminary graduate. Special report by older youth missionaries. (Pick-up Choir rehearses at 8:45 a.m.)
- Sunday, August 14 - Family Worship, 10 a.m. - Guest Preacher: Sarah Sund-Lucier, seminary graduate.
- Sunday, August 21 - Family Worship, 10 a.m. (Pick-up Choir rehearses at 8:45 a.m.*)
- Sunday, August 28 - Family Worship, 10 a.m. (Pick-up Choir rehearses at 8:45 a.m.*)
* Pick-up Choir is your opportunity to be part of a choir without attending weekly rehearsal. Just arrive on Sunday morning open to learning an easy anthem, dressed with respect, and ready to praise God with your voice! Please appear on time (8:45) at the piano in the sanctuary.
Remember a special
person or event.
There are dates available on the flower calendar. Why not provide flowers for the communion table in memory or honor of a loved one or in celebration of a special event? The calendar is posted in the narthex as you enter the church. Add your name to the date you want, fill out a form and leave it and a check ($25/2 vases, $12.50/1 vase) in the inbox outside BJ's office or mail it to the church. You may also bring your own flowers; just be sure to sign up and that the flowers are in place by 9:30 before worship begins.
More dates for your Calendar!
- Saturday, August 13, Christian Education Leadership Retreat - Watch for more information!
- Monday, LABOR DAY, September 5 - All-Church Picnic - Watch for more information!
- Sunday, September 11 - Rally Day! (And Church School registration)
- Sunday, September 18 - Church School begins!
HPC Recovery Support Group helps anyone who is struggling
Designed for anyone dealing with an addiction or a compulsion or with any challenge they find hard to overcome (or for those who care about those who are struggling), this group meets every Friday at 7 p.m. in the church conference room. Come to find support and guidance from others who struggle. Speak if you wish, but know your words will not be repeated outside the group. Find no judgement, no discrimination . . . only support. Contact the church office for more information: 508.752.7489 or theplaceof email@example.com.
Our bills don't take a vacation in the summer.
We appreciate it when you keep your pledge/donations up to date. Thank you.
My Lord, What a Morning!
What a thrill to be among the congregation at Pride Morning Worship on June 11 when our own Pastor Judith K. Hanlon and US Senator Elizabeth Warren were given an Open Door Award from Old South Church (UCC) in Boston for their LGBT advocacy. Many friends from HPC and many LGBT asylum seekers were on hand to cheer. Amazing music, amazing preaching, amazing women! Praise God for their work.
Remembering those . . .
who were killed or injured by senseless violence in Orlando in early June, Hadwen Park Congregational Church and the LGBT Asylum Task Force were present at the Interfaith Prayer Vigil held June 15 at City Hall in Worcester.
Hope for the future
Despite the despair many of us feel due to the violence carried out in our country in recent days, we find hope in our children. On Sunday, June 10, we prepared several young people and their leaders for a week of service in York PA (July 17- 22) and at Silver Lake church camp in CT (July 24-29). We were blessed by the kids who sang and read scripture during our worship that day.
Four younsters and three adults return from PA Mission Trip
Seven HPC members spent a hot July week in York PA as volunteers in a meals-on-wheels kitchen.
It wasn't all work, however. The group visited historical sites (here mugging with George), recreational facilities and Hershey World. The week also included worship, Bible Study and group discussion.
Many thanks to their adult advisors: Joanne, Laurie and Ralph - the three without a hat!
Here they receive instructions and suit up for work.