Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603
Office Hours: 9am - 2 pm
Mon., Wed., Fri.
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Betty Jane,
Hunger is always with us.
Our Food Pantry is continually in use by those in need. Thus, it is always in need of non-perishable items. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Bring your donations when you come to worship. They are an offering of thanks to God.
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. for
worship. A nursery is available for
infants through 2-year-olds; parents may
watch their fussy children in the nursery and still hear the service. September - May, children aged 3 through high school sit with their parents/guardians in worship until excused to their Church School classes. June - August, children attend worship with their parents/guardians, there will be a children's sermon. A time for fellowship and refreshments follows worship at 11 a.m. All are welcome. Watch for more information on these and other events which will be posted as details become available. Or contact the church office at email@example.com.
- Sunday, June 26 - Family Worship, 10 a.m. (Pick-up Choir rehearses at 8:45 a.m.*)The Church School is on vacation, but bring your children to worship with you throughout the summer!
- Sunday, July 3 - Family Worship with Communion, 10 a.m. (Pick-up Choir rehearses at 8:45 a.m.*)
- Wednesday, July 6 - Decorating for Vacation Bible School, 6 p.m. - all hands welcome. There will be pizza!
- Sunday, July 10 - Family Worship with Commissioning of Week of Hope young people, 10 a.m. (Pick-up Choir rehearses at 8:45 a.m.*)
- Monday, July 11 - Friday, July 15 - Vacation Bible School, 9 a.m. - noon. See more below.
- Sunday, July 17 - Family Worship, 10 a.m. (Pick-up Choir rehearses at 8:45 a.m.*)
- Sunday, July 17 - Friday, July 22, HPC volunteer missionaries, ages 10-13, and their advisors perform community service during Week of Hope in York, PA. Please remember them in your prayers.
- Sunday, July 24 - Family Worship with Commissioning of older Youth Missionaries, 10 a.m. - Guest Preacher: The Rev. Dr. Sam Young. Special report by Week of Hope missionaries. (Pick-up Choir rehearses at 8:45 a.m.*)
- Sunday, July 31 - Family Worship, 10 a.m. - Guest Preacher: The Rev. Dr. Sam Young. (Pick-up Choir rehearses at 8:45 a.m.*)
- Sunday, July 31 - Saturday, August 6, HPC Youth Missionaries, age 14 and up, and their advisors rehab homes in Bryn Athyn, PA for the elderly, disabled and/or economically disadvantaged. Keep them close in prayer.
* Pick-up Choir is your opportunity to be part of a choir without attending weekly rehearsal. Just arrive on Sunday morning open to learning an easy anthem, dressed with respect, and ready to praise God with your voice! Please appear on time (8:45) at the piano in the sanctuary.
Remember a special
person or event.
There are dates available on the flower calendar. Why not provide flowers for the communion table in memory or honor of a loved one or in celebration of a special event? The calendar is posted in the narthex as you enter the church. Add your name to the date you want, fill out a form and leave it and a check ($25/2 vases, $12.50/1 vase) in the inbox outside BJ's office or mail it to the church. You may also bring your own flowers; just be sure to sign up and that the flowers are in place by 9:30 before worship begins.
More dates for your Calendar!
- Saturday, August 13, Christian Education Leadership Retreat - Watch for more information!
- Monday, LABOR DAY, September 5 - All-Church Picnic - Watch for more information!
- Sunday, September 11 - Rally Day! (And Church School registration)
- Sunday, September 18 - Church School begins!
Making your summer plans?
Here's a suggestion from some very starry-eyed folks!
Cindy & Sam and Steve & Joan think you'll love a week, a weekend or even just a day trip to Star Island, a United Church of Christ retreat and conference center off the coast of Portsmouth NH. They'll be happy to tell you about the programs held there for youth and adults and about all the island's wonderful amenities. Click here for an information sheet about this year's events sponsored by the UCC and for their contact information. For information about other conferences and more general information go to www.starisland.org.
Give Star Island a try this summer - You WILL Come Back!
HPC Recovery Support Group helps anyone who is struggling
Designed for anyone dealing with an addiction or a compulsion or with any challenge they find hard to overcome (or for those who care about those who are struggling), this group meets every Friday at 7 p.m. in the church conference room. Come to find support and guidance from others who struggle. Speak if you wish, but know your words will not be repeated outside the group. Find no judgement, no discrimination . . . only support. Contact the church office for more information: 508.752.7489 or theplaceof firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Minister of Music, Anne Arsenault, helped us harmonize on an "old chestnut."
Music Sunday, May 22, was a little different this year.
Several choir members conducted the service on Music Sunday. The congregation suggested and sang the hymns interspersed among the spoken words. The Music Committee provided lunch after the service. A concert with anthems by the choir, classical pieces by Annie and Emily on piano and harp, respectively, and a performance by The Marshall Pass followed lunch. Thanks to all our musicians for sharing their gifts with us throughout the year and on this special day and to the Committee for planning this special day. More photos are on our Facebook page.
Children of all ages are invited to
Vacation Bible School
Monday-Friday, July 11-15
9 a.m. to noon each day.
The program is FREE!
Registration forms are available
through the church office: 508.752.7489
Adults interested in helping lead VBS
Our bills don't take a vacation in the summer.
We appreciate it when you keep your pledge/donations up to date. Thank you.
My Lord, What a Morning!
What a thrill to be among the congregation at Pride Morning Worship on June 11 when our own Pastor Judith K. Hanlon and US Senator Elizabeth Warren were given an Open Door Award from Old South Church (UCC) in Boston for their LGBT advocacy. Many friends from HPC and many LGBT asylum seekers were on hand to cheer. Amazing music, amazing preaching, amazing women! Praise God for their work.
Youth & Church School Sunday
June 12, 2016
Our young people led us in worship - enacting Jesus' parables, singing, praying, reading scripture, rapping, dancing, testing our Bible knowledge, and getting all of us to participate. Thank you to them and to all their teachers and leaders. Young and older, they are an inspiration! (Find more photos on our Facebook page. Link above.)
Remembering those . . .
who were killed or injured by senseless violence in Orlando last weekend, Hadwen Park Congregational Church and the LGBT Asylum Task Force were present at the Interfaith Prayer Vigil held June 15 at City Hall in Worcester.