Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603 | 508-752-7489
Office Hours: 9 am - 2 pm | Wed., Thurs., Fri.
Get Member Portal HELP | See Portal FAQs
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Sharon,
Fall Worship & Events
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m.
All are welcome!
- Mid-September thru late-May: Children aged 3 - grade 8 attend Sunday School classes during worship. Late-May thru mid-September, children attend worship with their families and are invited to Children’s Church during the sermon for stories and activities.
- Throughout the year, a time for fellowship and refreshments is held downstairs after worship.
- Tuesday, October 22 - New Member Class, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, October 24 - New Member Class, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, October 24 - Book Club, 7 p.m. (studying White Fragility DiAngelo and Dyson) See more at left.
- Saturday, October 26 - Halloween Party, 5-8 p.m.
- Sunday, October 27 - Worship with Reception of New Members; Sunday School, 10 a.m. (Choir rehearses 9 a.m.)
- Sunday, October 27 - Confirmation Class, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Junior Youth Group and Youth Missions Meeting, 11:30 a.m.
- Sunday, November 3 - Worship with Communion & a Baptism & Sunday School, 10 a.m. (Choir rehearses at 9 a.m.)
- Sunday, November 3 - Sr. Youth Group, 11:30 a.m.
- Sunday, November 3 - All Saints Service remembering those we have lost in the last year, 6 p.m.
- Sunday, November 10 - Worship & Sunday School, 10 a.m. Assoc. Pastor Sarah preaching. (Choir rehearses at 9 a.m.)
- Sunday, November 10 - Confirmation Class, 11 a.m.; Jr. Youth Group, 11:30 a.m.
- Monday, November 11 - LGBT Asylum Task Force Community Dinner, 6 p.m. (See more below.)
- Sunday, November 17 - Worship with a Baptism & Sunday School, 10 a.m. (Choir rehearses at 9 a.m.)
- Sunday, November 17 - Sr. Youth Group, 11:30 a.m.
- Sunday, November 24 - Worship & Sunday School, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, November 24 - Confirmation Class, 11 a.m.; Youth Group Pie Sale, 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 26 - Thanksgiving Basket Prep, 8 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 27 - Thanksgiving Service, 7 p.m.
Remember a special
person or event.
There are dates available on the flower calendar. Why not provide flowers for the communion table in memory or honor of a loved one or in celebration of a special event? The calendar is posted in the narthex as you enter the church. Add your name to the date you want, fill out a form and leave it and a check ($25/2 vases, $12.50/1 vase) in the inbox outside the church office or mail it to the church. You may also bring your own flowers; just be sure to sign up and that the flowers are in place by 9:30 before worship begins.
Help the HPC Food Pantry
feed hungry neighbors!
- Donations: Our Food Pantry is continually in use by those in need. Thus, it is always open to donations of non-perishable items. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Or pick up one of the specially marked bags in our Narthex or on the stair landing. Bring your donations when you come to worship. Or write a check to HPC with "Food Pantry" in the memo line and put it in the offering plate. Think of it as an offering of thanks to God.
- Volunteering: Are you available on Mondays or Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.? Sign up for a day to staff the Pantry. See a description of the need and instructions for signing up on the Food Pantry Page.
Hurray for Rally Day!
What a great Rally Day at HPC on September 8 - Blessing of the Backpacks, wonderful music by Mark Thallander, Brett Maguire and our Choir and soloists, Pastor Sarah's preaching. Then, Sunday School registration and fellowship time.
Sunday School began September 15. But it's not too late to register - just bring the kids downstairs at 9:45 a.m.
Calling all seekers and joiners!
Interested in membership at Hadwen Park? Want to inquire about how to go about it, who we are, what we believe, what is expected of members? Like an informal setting? Like to eat and socialize?
Come to our New Members Classes and find the answers. The first session was on October 19, but it's not too late to join! Two more sessions will be held at 7 p.m. at the church on Tuesday, October 22 and Thursday, October 24. You are under no obligation to join, but if you decide you want to become part of our family, new members will be received during worship on Sunday, October 27.
Save these dates:
Saturday, November 30 - Greening of the Church, 9 a.m.
Sunday, December 1 - Mitten Tree Gift Tags Available
Friday, November 15 - Adult Fellowship Potluck & Program (Steve Hubbard will show & tell about stargazing in Chili.)
Thursday, December 5 - Blue Christmas Service, 7 p.m.
Sunday, December 8 - All-Church Caroling to our Homebound, 11:30 a.m. to ??
Sunday, December 15 - Christmas Pageant, 4 p.m.
Sunday, December 22 - Christmas Music Service, 10 a.m.
Sunday, December 22 - Youth Cookie Hop, 11 a.m. (Get your Christmas cookies here!
Tuesday, December 24 - Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, 11 p.m.
Sunday, January 19 - Youth Group Hot Dog Fundraiser, 11 a.m.
Sunday, February 2 - Super Bowl of Chili Sale, 11 a.m. (Don't forget to order yours!)
Wednesday, February 26 - Ash Wednesday Service, 7 p.m.
Thursday, April 9 - Maundy Thursday Service, 7 p.m.
Saturday, May 2 - Spaghetti Supper & Talent Show, 5 p.m.
Sunday, May 17 - Children's Sunday Service, 10 a.m.
Sunday, May 31 - Pentecost & Confirmation Sunday, 10 a.m.
Monday - Friday, July 13-17 - Vacation Bible School
Sunday - Saturday, July 19-25 - Youth Mission Trip (Rochester, NY)
Think you are pretty open-minded?
Want to be sure?
The Missions & Social Justice Committee is
sponsoring a book discussion series on
White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo and Michael Eric Dyson. Beginning on Thursday, October 24 at 7 p.m. at the church, you are invited to unpack the terms “implicit bias” and “implicit racism,” explore if you have these, where they may have come from, and how to deal with them. MaryLynn Saul and Susan Crimer will facilitate the discussion. Books may be purchased at Barnes & Noble or on Amazon (in paperback or Kindle, ISBN: 978 0 8070 4741 5). Join us!
Thanksgiving is coming!
And with it, our annual collection to buy food for the 50 or so baskets with everything needed for a Thanksgiving feast that we give to needy families in our area. The food in each basket costs approximately $30. Your check in any amount will help us help others. Make checks out to Hadwen Park Church with "Thanksgiving Baskets" in the memo line and drop it in the offering plate on Sunday or mail to the church office. If you are free on Wednesday, November 26 from 8-9 a.m., come to the church to help fill the baskets. And, thank you!