Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603 | 508-752-7489
Office Hours: 9am - 2 pm | Mon., Tues., Thurs.
Get Member Portal HELP | See Portal FAQs
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Sharon,
Late Spring / Early
Summer Worship & Events
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. for worship. Nursery care for infants through 3-year-olds, staffed by a professional child care worker, is available in the nursery just off the sanctuary. Parents may leave their children at 9:45 and must pick them up no later than 15 minutes after the close of the service. Mid-May thru August, children aged 3 and above are invited to "Children's Church" for stories and activities during the sermon time. At 11 a.m., a time for fellowship and refreshments follows worship. All are welcome. Look for more information on the events below either here or on our Facebook page. Or contact the church office at email@example.com.
- Sunday, June 17 - Worship with Children's Church, 10 a.m. (8:45 Choir practice; 9:30 Kids Choir practice - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
- Sunday, June 24 - Worship with Annie's Farewell, 10 a.m. (8:45 Choir practice; 9:30 Kids Choir practice - Please be prompt.) A reception will follow the service to bid farewell to our music minister.
- Sunday, July 1 - Worship & Communion with Children's Church, 10 a.m. (9 a.m. Pick-up Choir - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
- Sunday, July 8 - Worship with Children's Church, 10 a.m. (9 a.m. Pick-up Choir - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
- Monday, July 9 - LGBT Asylum Task Force Community Dinner, 6 p.m. (See above.)
- Sunday, July 15 - Worship with Children's Church, 10 a.m. (9 a.m. Pick-up Choir - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
- Saturday, July 21 - Annual HPC Fun Day, beginning at 10 a.m., Buffumville Lake, 229 Oxford Road, Charlton MA (Sponsored by Health & Wellness Committee - watch for more information)
- Sunday, July 22 - Worship with Children's Church, 10 a.m. (9 a.m. Pick-up Choir - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
- Monday, July 23-Friday, July 27 - Vacation Bible School, 9 a.m. to noon each day (See below.)
- Sunday, July 29 - Saturday, August 4 - Youth Missions Trip to Imperial, PA to repair the homes of elderly, disabled and low-income people. Among other projects, they will paint, repair decks and build wheelchair ramps. This is an important life-changing service for both our youth and the residents they serve.
- Sunday, July 29 - Worship with Children's Church, 10 a.m. (9 a.m. Pick-up Choir - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
Remember a special
person or event.
There are dates available on the flower calendar. Why not provide flowers for the communion table in memory or honor of a loved one or in celebration of a special event? The calendar is posted in the narthex as you enter the church. Add your name to the date you want, fill out a form and leave it and a check ($25/2 vases, $12.50/1 vase) in the inbox outside the church office or mail it to the church. You may also bring your own flowers; just be sure to sign up and that the flowers are in place by 9:30 before worship begins.
HPC Food Pantry
Needs Your Help
- Donations: Our Food Pantry is continually in use by those in need. Thus, it is always open to donations of non-perishable items. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Or pick up one of the specially marked bags in our Narthex or on the stair landing. Bring your donations when you come to worship. Or write a check to HPC with "Food Pantry" in the memo line and put it in the offering plate. Think of it as an offering of thanks to God.
- Volunteering: Are you available on Mondays or Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.? Sign up for a day to staff the Pantry. See a description of the need and instructions for signing up on the Food Pantry Page.
Looking ahead . . .
Put these dates on your calendar:
- Saturday, August 11 - Health Fair for our church and the community, 10 a.m. (Watch for more on this.)
- Saturday, October 27 - LGBT Task Force Gala, DCU Center Ballroom
A beginning and an ending celebrated on Pentecost!
May 20 was Pentecost Sunday - the day the Holy Spirit blew into the lives of the disciples and our lives and the Christian Church was born. At HPC, several old friends came back and a few new ones also helped us celebrate in word and song and by the wearing of red. Mark Thallandar was at the organ, Annie at the piano. A small, but mighty choir wowed us. Pastor Judy preached it! (Can I hear an "amen"?) We heard praise for BJ, our longtime and now retiring church administrative assistant, and, at the close of worship, blessed her on her way with gifts and a wonderful luncheon. (See more photos on our Facebook page.)
Mid-Summer Family Fun Day
Saturday, July 21
11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
229 Oxford Road, Charlton MA
- Amusements: Swimming at sandy beach, horseshoes, play castle, volleyball, 12-18 hole Frisbee golf course, shore fishing, boat launch for kayaks/canoes, hiking trails
- Bring: Personal entree (can be for grilling), utensils, drinks; salad or dessert to share; table games, volleyball, Frisbee, fishing gear, bathing suit, towel, lawn chair or blanket if you like. (The Health & Wellness Committee will provide charcoal, cooking tools and condiments.)
- Cost: $5 for parking. We'll take a free-will offering to help pay for the pavilion rental.
- The park is handicap accessible.
- If the weather is questionable, check our Facebook page and your email for a cancellation notice before heading out.
God's Blessings to one
of our own!
Sarah Sund-Lussier, was approved for
ordination on June 6 by the Central
Association of the Mass. Conference of the
United Church of Christ after successfully presenting her ordination paper to the Association's Ecclesiastical Council. Sarah, a member of HPC, and recent graduate of Andover Newton Theological School with a Master of Divinity Degree, is our interim Christian education director. We are so proud of her!
While you are away this summer . . .
Please remember, while you may go on vacation, our bills do not. Please keep your gifts and pledges to Hadwen Park Church up to date so we can keep the lights on and pay our employees. Thank you so much!
Our musicians inspire us all year!
The Music Committee, choir members and our minister of music planned and led all aspects of the Music Sunday service on June 10, incorporating favorite readings, anthems and hymns and focusing on how music leads us to places of peace, healing, service and faith. Music Minister Anne Arsenault shared presented a meditation on "It Is Music that has Brought Us Here." Our musicians inspire and uplift us throughout the year. How fortunate we are that they give so much of themselves to us! Thank you, all! (See more photos on our Facebook page.)
Vacation Bible School 2018
Monday-Friday, July 23-27, 9 a.m. - noon at HPC
For ages 4 thru grade 8
“Embrace the Fruits of the Spirit”
Using a curriculum developed by the United Church of Christ and the Disciples of Christ denominations, we’ll focus on love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control by looking at real stories of children from Caribbean countries. Our kids will hear letters from the Caribbean kids, do crafts, play games and sing - as well as enjoy snacks!
Volunteer leaders are most welcome! Contact Sarah for more information.