Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603
Office Hours: 9am - 2 pm
Mon., Wed., Thurs., Fri.
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Betty Jane,
Sign up to receive occasional email news items
Non-perishable items are needed for
our Food Pantry which is seeing increased
use this winter. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Bring your donations when you come to worship. They are an offering of thanks to God.
Gift Idea: Buy Gift Cards
to benefit our Youth
“Scrip” is a word that means “substitute money” that you can use at a variety of popular national and local retailers for food, clothing, entertainment, gas, restaurants, etc. You purchase scrip certificates (gift cards) through our program, and our youth missionaries receive a percentage to underwrite their annual summer trips to to rehab houses for the elderly, disabled and economically disadvantaged. You receive full value for the certificates you purchase; the retailer receives cash up front and repeat business. For more information, contact Gail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Four HPC members (count them!) appear in this new video about the Open and Affirming movement, which got its start in Massachusetts!
Worship & Events
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m.
for worship and Church School.
Child Care is provided for infants
through 2-year-olds. A time for fellowship and refreshments follows worship at 11 a.m. All are welcome.
- Thursday, December 18 - Christmas Cantata, 7 p.m. The Senior Choir will be joined by the Confirmands and the Children's Choir in presenting "Welcome to Our World.
- Sunday, December 21 - Fourth Sunday of Advent - Christmas Cantata (see above), 10 a.m.; Cookie Sale to benefit Youth Missionaries, after worship; All-Church Caroling, after worship (no Church School)
- Wednesday, December 24 - Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, 11 p.m.
- Sunday, December 28 - Christmastide Worship with baptisms, 10 a.m. (no Church School)
Watch for more information on these and other events which will be posted as details become available. Or contact the church office at email@example.com
Looking ahead . . .
- Saturday, January 10 - Mystery Dinner Theater, 5-8 p.m. "Suspect Hollywood" and a roast chicken dinner will help the Youth Missionaries get to PA in 2015. Watch for more information; tickets will be on sale on Sunday mornings.
- Sunday, March 8 - All-Church Roller Skating Party, 5-7 p.m. at Skylight Rink
More information on these events will be forthcoming.
1st Sunday in Advent celebrates baptism
The family of about-to-be-baptized Brayden read the Advent Wreath liturgy on Sunday, November 30. Following the candle-lighting, Brayden was baptized and became a brother in Christ to his HPC family. Welcome, Brayden! After his baptism, Auntie Angela sang a special song for him.
Candles representing the life situations that make Christmastime "blue" for many of us were lit at our Blue Christmas Service on December 4. In addition to acknowledging the pain of the season, worshipers were given a blessing through individual prayer, anointing with oil, laying on of hands and Communion, depending on personal preference.
2nd Sunday in Advent
Lanny and Ken lit the candle of PEACE.
Pastor Judy spoke about "Advent's Irritant
- John the Baptist, the Way-Maker and Road-Builder."
We shared Communion. The children gave us all "high five" during their plea for funds to hire a Christian Education Director. (Give it some prayerful thought, please.)
Want to give back/do more this season?
Here are some opportunities for you:
- Buy a food basket for a local family in need. Make out a check for $30 to "Hadwen Park Church" and put it in the offering plate or mail it to the church. Cartons of food will be distributed just before Christmas to South Worcester Neighborhood Center (SWNC) people and some in our own church family. Help is welcome for gathering the food (Monday, December 22, 8:30 a.m.) and packing it (Tuesday, December 23, 8 p.m.) - for either job, report to the church.
- All the tags on our Mitten Tree in the sanctuary have been taken and folks are buying, wrapping and tagging their gifts for children from the SWNC. Be sure to bring the gifts back to the tree no later than Sunday, December 21 (extended deadline).
- Use one of the envelopes on the mitten tree to contribute to our Benevolence Fund to be used to aid members of our church who are struggling. (Make checks out to HPC with "benevolence" in the memo line.)
- Donate to the LGBT Asylum Task Force to help support our asylum seekers. (Make checks out to HPC with "LGBT" in the memo line.)
- Bring a food donation for our Food Pantry.
3rd Sunday in Advent
Jackie, Andrew and Lilith lit the candle of JOY; little sister Isabelle was baptized; the Choir sang beautifully; we welcomed new asylum seekers, Pastor Judy preached joyfully and we all laughed heartily. (The 3rd Sunday in Advent is traditionally one on which the more reflective, somber preparation for the Lord's coming is suspended, and the JOY of his advent is celebrated.)
Thursday, December 18 - 7 p.m.
Sunday, December 21 - 10 a.m.
You have two opportunities to hear "Welcome to Our World," a Christmas Cantata presented by our dedicated, talented Choir and Minister of Music (joined by our Children's Choir and Confirmation Class). Bring friends and family to be filled with true Christmas spirit.
In the afternoon, our Church School children presented their annual pageant telling the story of Jesus' birth.