Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603
Office Hours: 9am - 2 pm
Mon., Wed., Thurs., Fri.
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Betty Jane,
Sign up to receive occasional email news items
Non-perishable items are needed for
our Food Pantry which is seeing increased
use this winter. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Bring your donations when you come to worship. They are an offering of thanks to God.
HPC Youth Missionary
“Scrip” is a word that means “substitute money” that you can use at a variety of popular national and local retailers for food, clothing, entertainment, gas, restaurants, etc. You purchase scrip certificates (gift cards) through our program, and our youth missionaries receive a percentage to underwrite their annual summer trips to to rehab houses for the elderly, disabled and economically disadvantaged. You receive full value for the certificates you purchase; the retailer receives cash up front and repeat business. For more information, contact Gail at email@example.com.
Events & Worship
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. for worship and Church School. Child Care is provided for infants through 2-year-olds. A time for fellowship and refreshments follows worship at 11 a.m. All are welcome.
- Sunday, October 26, Worship with Baptism & Church School, 10 a.m. (Church School children begin in worship with parents and stay through the baptism.)
- Sunday, November 2 - Totenfest/All Saints Day, 10 a.m. We will remember those who have passed in the last year. If you have lost a loved one since last November, bring a candle that represents him/her. The candle will be lit as the name is read. Honor our recently departed brothers and sisters in this special service.
- Saturday, November 15 - Chicken Parmesan Dinner (to benefit Youth Missionaries), 4:30 AND 6 p.m. (See more at left.)
- Sunday, November 23 - Family Thanksgiving Sunday with reception of new members and dedication of 2015 pledges. Bring a friend! Come back if you haven't attended church in a while!
- Sunday, November 23 - New Member Reception, 5 p.m. at Pastor Judy's home. Come meet and greet our new members. Everyone welcome. (Call Pastor Judy for address and directions.)
- Wednesday, November 26 - Thanksgiving Eve Service, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, November 29 - Greening of the Church, 9 a.m. (Preparing the sanctuary for Advent)
Watch for more information on these and other events which will be posted as details become available. Or contact the church office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Four HPC members (count them!) appear in this new video about the Open and Affirming movement, which got its start in Massachusetts!
"Visit a Committee Month!"
Ever wonder just what goes on at those monthly committee meetings at church? Here's a no-obligation way to find out. Show up at the designate time for the committee(s) in which you are interested. You'll be welcomed to observe and even participate in discussions, devotional times, etc. Refreshments will be served. Remaining October meetings are
- Missions - Monday, October 20, 7 p.m.
- Property - Monday, October 27, 7 p.m.
HPC walkers and donors
help relieve hunger!
The Hadwen Park team of walkers (see
photo below) and donors raised $1000 to
help relieve world hunger during Worcester's annual Church World Service CROP WALK on Sunday, October 19. HPC was the top fundraiser in the city, contributing 10% of the total $10,000 raised. 25% of the funds raised will remain in the Worcester area to help fight hunger locally. Congratulations and thanks to all walkers and donors. Go HPC!
Seekers and joiners are invited to learn more.
Seeking to know more about the Christian faith, the United Church of Christ and/or Hadwen Park Church? Or are you interested in becoming an HPC member? If so, please let Pastor Judy know you'd like to attend the New Members Classes to be held at the church on these dates:
- Thursday, November 6 - 7 p.m.
- Saturday, November 15 - 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 19 - 7 p.m.
Those who then wish to join our church, will covenant with our congregation on Family Thanksgiving Sunday, November 23.
Our covenant is a promise to "walk together in all God's ways" as our fore-bearers in the faith framed it. Come find out what its all about!
Kids Choir back
All children of the church are invited to become part of HPC's music ministry by joining the "Kids Choir." Our Minister of Music Anne Arsenault works with children every Sunday morning at 9:30 in Fellowship Hall. (Rehearsals are just 15 minutes long, so it is important that all children are in place and ready to sing at 9:30.) The choir will sing during worship when a song is learned and ready to offer to God!
The pavement surrounding the catch basin near the back entrance to the lower level of the parish house had crumbled and washed out months ago. The problem was repaired on October 18 by Earl, Allen, Marc and Steve. Thanks, guys!
Looking ahead . . .
Here are some dates for your calendar.
- Sunday, November 30 - First Sunday of Advent, 10 a.m. Worship & Church School
- Thursday, December 4 - Blue Christmas Service, 7 p.m.
- Sunday, December 14 - Children's Christmas Pageant, 4 p.m.
- Sunday, December 21 - Choir Christmas Cantata, 10 a.m.; Cookie Sale to benefit Youth Missionaries, after worship; All-Church Caroling, after worship
- Wednesday, December 24 - Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, 11 p.m.
- Saturday, January 10 - Murder Mystery Dinner Theater, 5-8 p.m. "Suspect Hollywood" and a roast chicken dinner will help the Youth Missionaries get to PA in 2015. Watch for more information; tickets will be on sale on Sunday mornings.
More information on these events will be forthcoming.