Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603
Office Hours: 9am - 2 pm
Mon., Wed., Fri.
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Betty Jane,
Hunger is always with us.
Our Food Pantry is continually in use by those in need. Thus, it is always in need of non-perishable items. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Bring your donations when you come to worship. They are an offering of thanks to God.
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. for worship. A nursery is available for infants through 2-year-olds; parents may watch their fussy children in the nursery and still hear the service. Children aged 3 through high school sit with their parents in worship until excused to their Church School classes. A time for fellowship and refreshments follows at 11 a.m. All are welcome. Watch for more information on these and other events which will be posted as details become available. Or contact the church office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunday, February 7 - Transfiguration Sunday Worship & Church School, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, February 7 - Super Bowl of Chili. (See info at left.)
- Wednesday, February 10 - Ash Wednesday Service, "Marked for the Journey . . ." 7 p.m. Come, receive the mark of Christ (on your forehead or in your heart) as we prepare ourselves for our Lenten walk with Jesus from death to life.
- Sunday, February 14 - 1st Sunday in Lent - Worship & Church School, 10 a.m.
- Wednesday, February 17 - Lenten Supper (6 p.m.) & Worship (7 p.m.)
- Sunday, February 21 - 2nd Sunday in Lent - Worship & Church School, 10 a.m.
- Wednesday, February 24 - Lenten Supper (6 p.m.) & Worship (7 p.m.)
- Saturday, February 27 - Homemade Pizza & Family Movie Night, 5 p.m., featuring Disney's 2015 PIXAR animated film "Inside Out." Tickets: $5/person; $20/family. Proceeds to benefit Youth Mission Trip. Sign up in Fellowship Hall or call 508.752.7489 for reservations.
- Sunday, February 28 - 3rd Sunday in Lent - Worship & Church School, 10 a.m.
Sing with us!
We have a Pick-Up Choir
AND a Rehearsal Choir
ALL ages and levels of musical knowledge and experience are welcome to participate. We only ask for a love of the spirit and music and a willingness to learn.
The REHEARSAL CHOIR practices in the sanctuary on Wednesday evenings, 7-9 p.m., and Sunday mornings at 8:45 a.m.
The PICK-UP CHOIR joins the Sunday morning rehearsal at 8:45 a.m. (Note new earlier hour.) Please come either one Sunday or every Sunday, as you are able!
The CHILDREN'S CHOIR rehearses each Sunday at 9:30 a.m. in the Sanctuary and sings occasionally - sometimes with the adult choir and sometimes on their own.
Remember a special
person or event.
There are dates available on the flower calendar. Why not provide flowers for the communion table in memory or honor of a loved one or in celebration of a special event? The calendar is posted in the narthex as you enter the church. Add your name to the date you want, fill out a form and leave it and a check ($25/2 vases, $12.50/1 vase) in the inbox outside BJ's office or mail it to the church. You may also bring your own flowers; just be sure to sign up and that the flowers are in place by 9:30 before worship begins.
Job Opening at HPC:
Part-time Director of Christian Education
We are a progressive, fun-loving, justice-loving, Open and Affirming church with an awesome and growing group of children and teens. Our ideal candidate will have experience to effectively direct the CE program, an understanding of UCC theology and a willingness to teach in accordance with UCC values, scriptures, creeds and confession. A background in music, art and/or puppets is especially welcome.
It is more blessed
to give . . .
We truly do feel blessed when we give.
The holiday season at HPC afforded many
opportunities to do just that and members
responded to these annual appeals.
- Cartons containing the makings of a complete holiday meal were filled and distributed to 60 families in need for BOTH Thanksgiving and Christmas. The food was purchased through donations by members; the boxes were loaded by a small team of volunteers in the spirit of long-time organizer Otis Wickwire.
- Enough clean white socks were collected to fill a really big box. These will be distributed to those who attend Sunday afternoon services of the Worcester Fellowship UCC - a gathering for worship and lunch held on the Worcester Common, rain or shine, and serving primarily the homeless population.
- Toys, clothes and warm hats, scarves and gloves/mittens for families within the South Worcester Neighborhood were donated through our Mitten Tree gifts.
- Envelopes on the Mitten Tree were filled with gifts for the Benevolence Fund, which helps our own members in need.
- Teams of carolers visited our homebound with cheering songs and conversation; the Deacons and others took poinsettias to many as a sign that we remember them.
In case of inclement weather, please check this website first. If you don’t see a notice of cancellation, contact Earl Finne, chair of our Deacons, to be sure that worship is still on. (Sometimes the decision to cancel comes too late to get it posted here.)
More dates for your Calendar!
- Sunday, March 13 - HPC Friends & Family Roller Skating, 5-7p.m., Skylite Roller Skating (648 Park Avenue, Worcester), FREE admission and rentals. Bring your extended family and friends!
- Saturday, March 19 - Corned Beef Dinner, 6 p.m., to benefit our youth ministry and mission trips.Adults $10; children $5.
- Saturday, April 16 - Christian Education Committee Variety Show & Church Supper, 5 p.m.
- Saturday, May 21 - Church Supper TBA, 6 p.m.
- Sunday, June 12 - Church School Sunday Worship, 10 a.m.
- Sunday-Friday, July 17-22 - Week of Hope mission trip for ages 10-13, York PA
- Sunday-Friday, July 31-August 6 - Work Camp mission trip for 14 years and up, Bryn Athyn PA
Super Bowl of Chili
Support our church's youth programming by ordering delicious chili to enjoy while you watch the Super Bowl on Sunday, February 7 or as you relax that day away from the game!
Two generous portions are in each tub that sells for $8; each tub. Option: two squares of homemade cornbread for $1. Last minute orders: email Ralph at email@example.com. Pick up your order during coffee hour on February 7. (Chili and cornbread freeze well, so you might want to order extra for another winter night. Just sayin'. . .)
Church School Notes!
- The Children's Choir practices every Sunday at 9:30 a.m. in the Sanctuary with our Minister of Music Annie Arsenault. Please be sure your children arrive promptly.
- All children begin each Sunday in worship at 10 a.m. and will be escorted to their classes by their teachers at a predetermined time in the service.
- The Church School is currently using the "Deep Blue" curriculum. In February, they are studying Bible stories about birthright and blessing. Children age 3 - grade 4 meet downstairs; those in 5th - 12th grade meet upstairs.
- If you think you might like to be a teacher (a one-month commitment), please contact Joanne.
Annual Meeting showcases
the ministries of HPC
In addition to the elections, bylaws changes, budget acceptance and all the usual business of a nonprofit organization, our annual meeting heard reports by our faithful volunteers and staff of the many ways HPC ministers to its members, community and the world. God's work is all good!