Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603
Office Hours: 9am - 2 pm
Mon., Wed., Thurs., Fri.
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Betty Jane,
Sign up to receive occasional email news items
Non-perishable items are needed for
our Food Pantry which is seeing increased
use this winter. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Bring your donations when you come to worship. They are an offering of thanks to God.
HPC Youth Missionary
“Scrip” is a word that means “substitute money” that you can use at a variety of popular national and local retailers for food, clothing, entertainment, gas, restaurants, etc. You purchase scrip certificates (gift cards) through our program, and our youth missionaries receive a percentage to underwrite their annual summer trips to to rehab houses for the elderly, disabled and economically disadvantaged. You receive full value for the certificates you purchase; the retailer receives cash up front and repeat business. For more information, contact Gail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Events & Worship
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. for worship and Church School. Child Care is provided for infants through 2-year-olds. A time for fellowship and refreshments follows worship at 11 a.m. All are welcome!
- Sunday, September 14 - Children's Choir Rehearsal, 9:30 a.m. in Fellowship Hall (lower level)
- Sunday, September 14 - Worship & Church School, 10 a.m. Whether or not they are registered, all children are welcome for the start of our Church School on this day. Bring them to Fellowship Hall (lower level) at 9:45 a.m. If you'd like to help in the Church School, please volunteer to Joanne St. Pierre.
- Saturday, September 20 - Youth Missionaries Open Meeting, 9 a.m. Anyone interested in learning more about this life-changing program, whether or not they think they might like to go to Scranton, PA next summer, is invited to attend any of these monthly meetings.
- Saturday, September 20 - Gospelfest (to benefit AIDS Project Worcester), 3 p.m.
- Sunday, September 21 - Worship with a Baptism & Church School, 10 a.m. (Children will start in worship with their families and be dismissed to their classrooms after the baptism.)
- Saturday, September 27 - Spaghetti Supper (to benefit our Youth Missionaries), 6 p.m.
- Sunday, September 28 - Worship & Church School, 10 a.m.
Watch for more information on these and other events which will be posted as details become available. Or contact the church office at email@example.com Four HPC members (count them!) appear in the new video about the Open and Affirming movement, which got its start in Massachusetts! Watch it at http://vimeo.com/98662691.
The 2014 Youth Missionaries and their leaders were commissioned on July 20 . . .
And travelled to Dinwiddie, VA, on July 27; they went to work the next day.
Our 13 youth and 4 adults were divided among more than 50 work crews of Christian youth and adults from all over the country. Their days were spent rehabbing the homes of elderly, disabled or economically disadvantaged people. Incorporated into the program were Bible study, worship, shared meals and recreational time.The crew members learned to work as a team and to trust each other. Many found the week a life-changing event.
One way money was raised for the trip was selling "memory" nails, which were then used in building and repair projects. Each nail carried the remembrance of a specific person.
All work and no play . . . NOT!
Looking ahead . . .
Make sure these dates are on your calendar and watch for more information to come.
- Saturday, October 4 - LGBT Asylum Task Force Hope for Their Futures Golf Tournament, Cyprian Keyes Golf Club, Boyleston (The dinner following the tournament is open to all. Cost is $35; many door prizes will be given. See the tournament site for much more information.)
- Sunday, October 12 - Youth Missionaries Brunch, 11 a.m. Combination fundraiser and recounting of stories from the 2014 mission trip.
- Friday, October 31 - Annual Halloween Trunk or Treat, 5 p.m.
- Saturday, November 15 - Chicken Parmesan Dinner (to benefit Youth Missionaries), 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 26 - Thanksgiving Eve Service, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, November 29 - Greening of the Church, 9 a.m.
Rally Sunday brought families back to HPC after summer vacations!
Children were front and center in worship on September 7. The sermon was presented by puppets, the adult choir was augmented with kids, and families registered for Church School after worship. Welcome back!
HPC's banner preceded the LGBT Asylum Task Force's banner in the 2014 Pride Parade in Worcester.
If you missed the 2014 All-Church Labor Day Picnic, you missed lots of fun!