Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603
Office Hours: 9am - 2 pm
Mon., Wed., Fri.
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Betty Jane,
Non-perishable items are needed for
our Food Pantry. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Bring your donations when you come to worship. They are an offering of thanks to God.
Gift Idea: Buy Gift Cards
to benefit our Youth
“Scrip” is a word that means “substitute money” that you can use at a variety of popular national and local retailers for food, clothing, entertainment, gas, restaurants, etc. You purchase scrip certificates (gift cards) through our program, and our youth missionaries receive a percentage to underwrite their annual summer trips to rehab houses for the elderly, disabled and economically disadvantaged. You receive full value for the certificates you purchase; the retailer receives cash up front and repeat business. For more information, contact Gail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spring Worship &
Events & a little more!
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. for worship. Child Care is available for infants through 2-year-olds. A time for fellowship and refreshments follows at 11 a.m. All are welcome.
- Sunday, May 31 - TRINITY SUNDAY, Worship & Church School Classes, 10 a.m.; Children's Choir rehearsal, 9:30 a.m. in Fellowship Hall. (Trinity Sunday celebrates the three persons of God: Creator, Christ and Holy Spirit. Our guest preacher will be the Rev. Dr. Sam Young.)
- Sunday, June 7 - CHURCH SCHOOL SUNDAY - Worship with Communion, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, June 14 - Family Worship with a Baptism, 10 a.m.
- Saturday, June 20 - Cookout & Free Movie, 5 p.m. to benefit Youth Missions; $5 per person for cookout; stay for the movie "Despicable Me 2" (See ad at left.)
- Sunday, June 21 - NEW MEMBER SUNDAY - Family Worship, 10 a.m. Special music by world renowned organist, Mark Thallander.
- Sunday, June 21 - New Member Reception, 5 p.m. at Pastor Judy's home (Call church for directions.) ALL members are invited to come and get to know our newest members!
- Sunday, June 28 - Youth & Adult Missionaries leave for weeklong workcamp rehabbing houses for elderly, disabled and disadvantaged homeowners in Scranton PA. Come to send them off! (Time to be announced.)
- Sunday, June 28 - Family Worship, 10 a.m. (Pick-up choir practice, 8:45. All are welcome!)
- Sunday, July 12 - Bravehearts Game for Central Assoc., UCC, 5 p.m. (See more below.)
- Monday-Friday, August 3-7 - VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL (Watch for details. Mark your calendar. Please volunteer to help lead - all kinds of help needed!)
- Sunday, August 9 - Guest preacher: The Rev. Marilyn Wilcox
- Sunday, August 16 - Guest preacher: Sarah Sund-Lusier, our own seminarian!
- Sunday, August 23 - Guest preacher: The Rev. Dr. Sam Young
Watch for more information on these and other events which will be posted as details become available. Or contact the church office at email@example.com.
The Mission & Social Justice Committee
is presenting 3-4 minute talks during
worship about various “isms” that
separate “them” from “us.” The presenters
stay after worship for coffee and
discussion in the Conference Room. The first three cameos were on divesting from fossil fuel investment, LGBT asylum work, and the Worcester Fellowship UCC/the homeless. The next cameo and discussion will be on September 27 and will highlight the transgender journey. Join us.
Looking for a meaningful experience this summer?
If you are a young person, consider attending a church camp. If you are a teen, an adult, a couple, or a family with young children, think about Star Island. See more on our Summer Opportunities page.
Planting the Seeds Update
The Growth, Development & Stewardship Committee is raising funds to hire a Christian Education Director. The campaign kicked off on April 26. Members are asked to raise their regular, weekly pledge amount by at least $5 per week. As each $500 is raised, we add a flower to the chart on the wall to the left of the pulpit. (Outright donations are also welcome from anyone.) The garden is growing, but we’ll need more flowers to reach our goal for this fall: $8,000 for a part-time director.
If you have not turned in your pledge card for the “Planting the Seeds” effort, please do so as soon as possible. (If you need a pledge card, they are available in the Narthex.) Pep talks and progress reports will be made on Sundays. Please help plant the seeds of faith in our young people by pledging generously. And watch our progress on the wall. (Note the little ladybugs added by our Church School kids! So cute.)
The Rev. Warren Hicks presented a Justice Cameo during worship on April 26 and conducted the after-worship discussion on the Worcester Fellowship UCC of which he is the new director and co-pastor. The Fellowship is a church without a building that ministers to Worcester's homeless.
Six outstanding young people . . .
. . . confirmed their faith in Jesus Christ on May 3, became members of HPC and led us all in worship. There was standing room only for the climax of a year of study for Katrina, Jacob, Joseph, Hailey, Matthew and Luke. The confirmands wrote and conducted the service, telling their personal journeys, singing, praying, reading, and serving. We are so proud of each one. Many thanks to the families and church members who supported and mentored them along the way. May God bless them wherever life takes them!
Bring everyone for a Cookout!
Saturday, June 20, 5 p.m.
The Youth Missionaries will serve
hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hot dogs,
salads, desserts and drinks for
$5 per person (or more!) to raise
funds for their trip June 28-July 4.
Stay for a free movie:
"Despicable Me 2"
All are welcome! Please sign up
in Fellowship Hall or call
508.752.7489 for reservations.
On Mother's Day
We were inspired by the moving personal journey of our minister of music and by Pastor Judy's sermon, a duet by Ginny and Annie, and the Choir's anthem.
Take me out to the
Sunday, July 12 - 5 p.m.
Join members of the Central Association, United Church of Christ, at a Worcester Bravehearts game. Bring the whole family - especially the kids! The Central Association will be displayed on the scoreboard and mentioned over the PA system. (Maybe we can even have HPC announced as well!) The Bravehearts play at Hanover Insurance Park at Fitton Field, 1 College Street, Worcester MA. Tickets are $4 per person. Contact the association office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for tickets and more information or contact Marilyn Wilcox at email@example.com.
On May 24, we entered the sanctuary through red festoons which fluttered in the Pentecostal breeze coming in the doors and windows. Friends, family and asylum seekers gathered and rehearsed songs and dance before the service. Our offerings to God included hymns, anthems, beloved readings, African dance and preaching. As always, the children joined us for our closing
circle. Touches of red reminded
us of the tongues of fire which
came down upon the disciples
on this, the birthday of the
church. And we celebrated!
Looking ahead . . .
- Saturday, September 12 - Worcester Pride Parade (HPC will participate - walk with us!)
- Sunday, September 13 - Worship & Church School Rally Day, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, September 13 - All-Church Picnic, 1 p.m. to evening, Salem Covenant Camp, Charlton Reservoir. (Note this event has been moved from Labor Day to Rally Day.)
- Sunday, September 27 - Justice Cameo during worship and discussion after on the transgender journey
- Sunday, October 4 - Fire Prevention & Safety Forum, 11:30 a.m. - Lt. Annmarie Pickett of the Worcester Fire Dept., presenter. (Sponsored by the Health & Wellness Committee)
- Sunday, December 13 - Church School Christmas Pageant, 3 p.m.