Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603
Office Hours: 9am - 2 pm
Mon., Wed., Thurs., Fri.
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Betty Jane,
Sign up to receive occasional email news items
Non-perishable items are needed for
our Food Pantry which is seeing increased
use this winter. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Bring your donations when you come to worship. They are an offering of thanks to God.
Spring is here!
HPC Youth Missionary
“Scrip” is a word that means “substitute money” that you can use at a variety of popular national and local retailers for food, clothing, entertainment, gas, restaurants, etc. You purchase scrip certificates (gift cards) through our program, and our youth missionaries receive a percentage to underwrite their trip to Virginia this summer to rehab houses. You receive full value for the certificates you purchase; the retailer receives cash up front and repeat business. For more information, contact Gail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hadwen Park
Church Choir is
always happy to
welcome new members!
Consider giving this fun and important ministry a try. During Lent, rehearsals are held Wednesday evenings at 8 p.m. in Fellowship Hall. Drop by and speak to Anne Arsenault, choir director, or contact her at email@example.com for more information. Come make a joyful noise with us!
Summer is coming
So get ready to watch the "boys of summer"
with your HPC buddies and help the youth
missionaries get to Virginia.
- WHAT: Worcester Bravehearts vs. Torrington Titans Baseball
- WHEN: Friday, June 13 - 7 p.m.
- WHERE: Fitton Field, College of the Holy Cross
Watch one of our youth throw out the first ball!
Save the date. More info to come.
Events & Worship
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. for worship. Child Care is provided for infants through 2-year-olds. All other children are welcome to attend Church School classes at the same time as worship. All are welcome!
- Maundy Thursday, April 17- Worship led by our Deacons, the service includes a re-enactment of the Last Supper and the Office of Tenebrae (scripture readings and extinguishing candles), 7 p.m.
- Good Friday, April18 - Sanctuary open for prayer and meditation, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Meditation Center experience available.
- Easter Sunday, April 20 - Worship, 10 a.m. Our new children's choir will sing two songs and our adult choir will sing three anthems! Join us for this joyful celebration! There will be no Church School classes or Coffee Hour today.
April continues . . .
- Monday, April 21 - Buffalo Wild Wings Fundraiser, all day (see below)
- Friday, April 25 - Youth Group "Famine" Overnight (see at left)
- Saturday, April 26 - All-Church Supper, 5 p.m.
- Sunday, April 27 - Worship & Church School, 10 a.m.
Look for more information on these and other events elsewhere on this page. Or contact the church office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Youth Group active in spring
HPC likes to keep its young people busy. If you are in grade 5 through 12, you’re invited to join in all these activities (with one exception noted).
- Friday, April 25 - Saturday, April 26 - Annual Famine to raise funds for hunger relief (watch for more information).
- Sunday, June 22 - Year-End Pool Party, following worship
Contact Wendy with questions.
Save the Dates: July 14 - 19
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL!
Our themes, "Christian Olympics" will feature Bible stories, songs, games, crafts and more! Musical activities will be directed by Anne Arsenault, our minister of music. Bring the kids 9 a.m. to noon.
Calling kids who love to sing!
We're starting a choir for children (age 3) thru young people (teens). Come to Fellowship Hall Sunday mornings at 9:30 for 15-20 minutes of practice before Church School begins. The Kids Choir will start practices on Sunday, April 6 and offer their first song to God on Easter Sunday, April 27. Come join the fun! Questions? Contact our Minister of Music.
Youth Missionaries are at it again
. . . bringing us another way to enjoy good food and fellowship for a good cause. And, you can stay up late!
Monday, April 21, 2014
Anytime between 11 a.m. and 2 a.m.
Buffalo Wild Wings*
476 Boston Turnpike (Rt. 9), Shrewsbury
Present certificate to server and 20% of your purchases will go to our Youth Missionaries. Download certificate by clicking on logo above.
*Chicken wings and many other appetizers, salads, sandwiches, burgers, desserts, soft drinks, beer, etc.
More dates for your calendar:
- Sunday, May 4 - Worship on "Restorative Justice" (10 a.m.) & Workshop with Arthur Bembury, executive director of Partakers (11:30-12:30)
- Saturday, May 10 - 5 p.m., Variety Show to benefit camp scholarships for our children to attend church camp this summer. Dust off your dancing shoes, pull out those puppets, fluff up your flute, skim the scum off that skit! Now's your chance to strut your stuff.
- Sunday, June 1 - 10 a.m., Church School Sunday - The children will lead worship on "Feeling the Power of Jesus."
Watch for more information.
Read about our work with
LGBT Asylum Seekers:
Hunger will be the focus
of three events at
Hadwen Park Church
Annual Famine: As it does every year, our Youth Group and its leaders will observe a 24-hour fast (known as the "Famine") April 25 -26, staying overnight locked in at the church. Through a variety of activities, they will learn about hunger in our world and community, raise awareness about hunger, and raise money to stock our church's Food Pantry.
Car Wash Fundraiser: On Saturday, April 26 the youth will wash cars in the church parking lot from 9 a.m. to noon for free-will donations.
Pasta Supper: The fast will end when the young people serve pasta, meatballs, salad, bread, dessert and beverages at 4:45 p.m. on Saturday, April 26. Cost: $8/person; family limit: $30. Sign up in the church hall or email Wendy.
While the overnight is limited to Youth Group members, the Car Wash and Pasta Supper are open to family, friends and the general public. Tell everyone and come out to support our incredibly caring kids!
Hadwen Park Church is located at 6 Clover St., Worcester MA.
Hosanna to the King!
Jesus' entry into Jerusalem was celebrated April 13, Palm Sunday.