Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603
Office Hours: 9am - 2 pm
Mon., Wed., Fri.
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Betty Jane,
Hunger is always with us.
Our Food Pantry is continually in use by those
in need. Thus, it is always open to donations of
non-perishable items. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Or pick up one of the specially marked bags in our Narthex or on the stair landing. Bring your donations when you come to worship. They are an offering of thanks to God.
Heading into Lent & Easter
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. for worship. A nursery is available for infants through 2-year-olds; parents may watch their fussy children in the nursery and still hear the service. September - May, children aged 3 through high school sit with their parents/guardians in worship until excused to their Sunday School classes. (On Communion Sundays, grades 6-8 remain in the sanctuary throughout the service.) June - August, children attend worship with their parents/guardians. A time for fellowship and refreshments follows worship at 11 a.m. All are welcome. Watch for more information on these and other events which will be posted as details become available. Or contact the church office at email@example.com.
- Sunday, February 26 - Transfiguration Sunday Worship & Sunday School, 10 a.m. (Preceded by Pick-up Choir rehearsal at 9 a.m. and Children's Choir practice at 9:30 - both in the Sanctuary.)
- Wednesday, March 1 - Ash Wednesday Service, 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 8 - Supper (6 p.m.) & Lenten Service (7 p.m.) - See more on our Lenten series at left.
- Wednesday, March 15 - Supper (6 p.m.) & Lenten Service (7 p.m.)
- Wednesday, March 22 - Supper (6 p.m.) & Lenten Service (7 p.m.)
- Wednesday, March 29 - Supper (6 p.m.) & Lenten Service (7 p.m.)
- Wednesday, April 5 - Supper (6 p.m.) & Lenten Service (7 p.m.)
- Thursday, April 13 - Maundy Thursday Service, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, April 15 - Easter Egg Hunt, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, April 16 - Easter Sunrise Service, 5:45 a.m.
- Sunday, April 16 - Easter Worship Service, 10 a.m.
Remember a special
person or event.
There are dates available on the flower calendar. Why not provide flowers for the communion table in memory or honor of a loved one or in celebration of a special event? The calendar is posted in the narthex as you enter the church. Add your name to the date you want, fill out a form and leave it and a check ($25/2 vases, $12.50/1 vase) in the inbox outside BJ's office or mail it to the church. You may also bring your own flowers; just be sure to sign up and that the flowers are in place by 9:30 before worship begins.
Friday Evening Support Group open to anyone who is struggling
Do you have a problem with alcohol, drugs, over-eating, gambling, or another addiction or compulsion? Are you in recovery, struggling, hoping to get there? Or are you just in need of some moral support for any reason?
Stop by HPC’s upstairs conference room ANY Friday night between 7-8 p.m. for a cup of coffee and some informal conversation. Please enter through the side “office” door.
There is no membership, no dues, and no obligation to come every week—just when you can. What is said during each gathering is held in confidence within the group.
Sunday School dives deep!
This year's theme is "Diving Deep"
and classes are using the "Deep Blue"
curriculum, which includes Bible stories
presented through engaging,
age-appropriate activities, music, games, conversations and much more. Our children are learning to live as Christians.
Each 2nd-4th Sunday, children attend worship at 10 a.m. with their parents/guardians until they are excused to go to their classes as follows:
- Preschool (age 3) - Grade 5 are downstairs studying what we can learn from the story of Noah and the flood.
- Grades 6-8 are meeting in the Conference Room upstairs and looking at Bible stories that feature faithful women who made a real difference in God's world.
On each first Sunday of the month, the younger students will begin downstairs and take Communion in Sunday School. Grades 6-8 will attend the full worship service in the sanctuary and will not have class.
Team teachers and other volunteers are always needed. Lessons are pre-planned for teachers. Other volunteers help with arts/crafts, music, dance, holidays, pageant costumes/props and publicity. Contact Director of Christian Education Susan Crimer to volunteer or for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
and Stephanie lead the Senior High Youth Group for
9th-12th graders. If you are interested in joining, please let them know so they can add you to the contact list. Joanne and Michael head up the Junior High Youth Group for 5th-8th graders. Contact them to be on their list.
Calling all who love to sing!
All ages of singers are encouraged to sing in our choirs.
- Children will practice each Sunday 9:30-9:45 a.m. in the Sanctuary for a few weeks and then sing (perhaps with the adult singers) on some Sundays. (Promptness for practice is paramount since their time is so short!)
- Adults have two choices: The Sunday Choir practices a simple, "pick-up" song at 9 a.m. each Sunday and sings it that day. Do not be late! The Wednesday Choir practices more complex pieces each Wednesday evening at 7 p.m. AND each Sunday morning at 8:45. They present an anthem each Sunday.
- 2017 Offering Envelopes may be picked up in the Narthex.
- A new Flower Calendar has been posted in the Narthex. Sign up now to provide flowers in memory or honor of loved ones on a special Sunday. See instructions below.
- Please remember our Food Pantry when you do your grocery shopping.
- Consider donating to our Benevolence Fund which benefits our own members in need of assistance.
Dixieland, Gospel and so much more!
Worship on Sunday,
February 19, featured
the alto sax of Willie
Sordillo - talented
musician and human
rights activist - along
with our own Pastor
Judy on the piano.
Willie graced us with
meditations in word
and in music and
accompanied all our
singing - choral and
joy-filled service was
sponsored by the
Scout Sunday, February 5, 2017
Mark your calendar for these coming events:
- Saturday, April 29 - Church Supper & Talent Show, time TBD
- Sunday, May 14 - Children's Sunday, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, May 21 - Music Sunday, 10 a.m.
begins March 8
Our Wednesday night Lenten series (March 8, 15, 22, 29 and April 5), will explore the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:3-12), which reveal God’s sometimes surprising concepts of justice. Led by Sarah Sund-Lussier, a graduate of Andover Newton Theological School and member of Hadwen Park Church, we’ll look at what Jesus said to folks in the troubled times in which HE lived and how those words can apply to the troubled times in which WE live.
As always, we’ll share an optional 6 p.m. simple supper downstairs in Fellowship Hall and then move to the Sanctuary upstairs for the 7 p.m. worship service. A basket for free-will donations will be available at the supper. All are welcome!
NOTE: Lent begins with Ash Wednesday, March 1. We will worship at 7 p.m., but there will be no supper preceding the service.