Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603
Office Hours: 9am - 2 pm
Mon., Wed., Fri.
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Betty Jane,
Hunger is always with us.
Our Food Pantry is continually in use by those in need. Thus, it is always in need of non-perishable items. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Bring your donations when you come to worship. They are an offering of thanks to God.
Worship & Events
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. for worship. Child Care facilities are available for infants through 2-year-olds. A time for fellowship and refreshments follows at 11 a.m. All are welcome. Watch for more information on these and other events which will be posted as details become available. Or contact the church office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friday, October 9 - "Trust in the Promise" Dinner Dance, 6 p.m., Auburn Elks, $20 per person (See at left.)
- Sunday, October 11 - Worship & Church School, 10 a.m. The Rev. Liz McGill, pastor of the Worcester Fellowship UCC, will present a Justice Cameo on racial justice during worship and will lead a "Conversation on Race" after the service. All are welcome. (The Missions & Social Justice Committee are presenting these programs.)
- Saturday, October 17 - Youth Group Dinner, 6 p.m.
- Sunday, October 18 - Worship & Church School, 10 a.m. Guest preacher: The Rev. Dr. Sam Young
- Sunday, October 18 - Youth Group, 11 a.m. (Will participate in CROP Walk after meeting.)
- Sunday, October 18 - Church World Service CROP Walk for World Hunger Relief, 12:30 p.m. beginning at Greendale People's Church (Please sponsor one of our walkers or make a general donation.)
- Sunday, October 25 - Worship & Church School, 10 a.m. Stewardship speaker: Steve Hubbard
- Saturday, October 25 - Youth Group Brunch, 11 a.m.
- Saturday, October 31 - Halloween Trunk or Treat, 5 p.m., parking lot
Gift Idea: Buy Gift Cards
to benefit our Youth
“Scrip” is a word that means “substitute money” that you can use at a variety of popular national and local retailers for food, clothing, entertainment, gas, restaurants, etc. You purchase scrip certificates (gift cards) through our program, and our youth missionaries receive a percentage to underwrite their annual summer trips to rehab houses for the elderly, disabled and economically disadvantaged. You receive full value for the certificates you purchase; the retailer receives cash up front and repeat business. For more information, contact Gail at email@example.com.
Plans for 2016 announced!
Our Youth Missionaries will be going to Bryn Athyn, PA July 31 - August 6, 2016. All youth age 14+ are welcome to join.
There will also be a trip to York, PA July 17 - July 22 for preteens aged 10 - 12. This trip is already full.
Participation in the mission trips requires participation in the many fundraisers throughout the year.
If interested, please contact Ralph as soon as possible.
Planting the Seeds for growth
The Growth, Development & Stewardship Committee continues to raise the funds to hire a Christian Education Director. The campaign kicked off on April 26. Members are asked to raise their regular, weekly pledge amount by at least $5 per week. As each $500 is raised, we add a flower to the chart on the wall to the left of the pulpit. (Outright donations are also welcome from anyone.) The garden is growing, but we could use more flowers to reach our goal for this fall: $8,000 for a part-time director.
If you have not turned in your pledge card for the “Planting the
Seeds” effort, please do so as soon as possible. (If you need a
pledge card, they are available in the Narthex.) Progress reports will be made periodically.
Please help plant the seeds
of faith in our young people
by pledging generously.
And watch our progress
on the wall.
Sing with us!
We have a Pick-Up Choir
AND a Rehearsal Choir
ALL ages and levels of musical knowledge and experience are welcome to participate. We only ask for a love of the spirit and music and a willingness to learn.
The robed REHEARSAL CHOIR practices in the sanctuary on Wednesday evenings, 7-9 p.m., and Sunday mornings at 8:45 a.m.
The PICK-UP CHOIR joins the Sunday morning rehearsal at 9:10 a.m. Please come in your Sunday best and with a song in your heart, either one Sunday or every Sunday, as you are able!
The CHILDREN'S CHOIR rehearses each Sunday at 9:30 a.m. in the Sanctuary and sings occasionally - sometimes with the adult choirs and sometimes on their own.
Remember a special
person or event.
There are dates available on the flower calendar. Why not provide flowers for the communion table in memory or honor of a loved one or in celebration of a special event? The calendar is posted in the narthex as you enter the church. Add your name to the date you want, fill out a form and leave it and a check ($25/2 vases, $12.50/1 vase) in the inbox outside BJ's office or mail it to the church. You may also bring your own flowers; just be sure to sign up and that the flowers are in place by 9:30 before worship begins.
Job Opening at HPC:
Part-time Director of Christian Education
We are a progressive, fun-loving, justice-loving, Open and Affirming church with an awesome and growing group of children and teens. Our ideal candidate will have experience to effectively direct the CE program, an understanding of UCC theology and a willingness to teach in accordance with UCC values, scriptures, creeds and confession. A background in music, art and/or puppets is especially welcome.
September 13 was a busy, happy Sunday
. . . with Church School registration and worship geared toward families AND our annual All-Church Picnic at Charlton Reservoir. So good to see so many folks back from summer vacations! It's good to worship and play together as the Family of God.
New Church School Line Up
This fall, please bring your children to worship with you rather than bringing them to Fellowship Hall before worship begins. The children will sit with you for the first part of the service and then be dismissed to their classrooms after the response to the Prayer of Confession.
Coming Attractions . . .
For now, just save these dates on your calendar and plan to join us. Then come back to check for more details, which will be posted as we get them.
- Sunday, November 1 - Youth Group meeting, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Saturday, November 7 - All-Church Clean-Up Day, 9 a.m. til finished!
- Sunday, November 8 - Stewardship Sunday, Worship & Church School, 10 a.m.
- Saturday, November 14 - Chicken Parmesan Dinner to benefit Youth Group activities, seatings: 5:30 and 6:30 p.m.
- Sunday, November 15 - Youth Group meeting, 11 a.m.
- Saturday, November 21 - Youth Group Pie Bake, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Orders will be taken; pies may be picked up on Sunday, November 22 after worship.)
- Wednesday, November 25 - Thanksgiving Eve Service, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, November 28 - Greening of the Church, 9 a.m.
- Sunday, November 29 - Family Worship, 10 a.m. (Kid-friendly service; no Church School classes)
- Sunday, December 6 - All-Church Caroling to Our Homebound, 11:30 a.m.
- Sunday, December 6 - Youth Group Christmas Party at Pastor Judy's home, following caroling
- Saturday, December 12 - Church Supper to benefit Youth Group Activities, 6 p.m.
- Sunday, December 13 - Church School Christmas Pageant, 4 p.m.
- Saturday, December 19 - Youth Group Cookie Bake, 9 a.m.
- Sunday, December 20 - Christmas Cantata & Family Worship, 10 a.m. (No Church School classes)
- Thursday, December 24 - Candlelight Service, 11 p.m.
For more photos from Rally Day and the Picnic, visit our Facebook page (click on link above).
It'll be fun - PROMISE!
Don't miss the PROMISE DINNER
sponsored by the Growth, Development
& Stewardship Committee to be held on
- Friday, October 9 - 6 p.m.
- Auburn Elks, 754 Southbridge Street, Auburn
- $20/per person; kids under 12 FREE (Make checks out to Hadwen Park Church with "Promise Dinner" in memo; financial assistance available.)
- Come for dining, dancing, singing, skits, information about HPC and plenty of laughs.
* Italian Buffet: roasted chicken, meatballs, pasta, salad, roasted potatoes, rolls, dessert, coffee
Get the drop on fall Youth Group fundraisers:
To raise funds for a variety of activities and
mission projects, our Youth Group will
cook and serve meals for you and your
friends and family. Don't miss these times
of fun, fellowship and good food!
Pot Roast Dinner
Sat., October 17 - 6 p.m.
- Menu: Salad, pot roast with vegetables, dessert, beverage
- Tickets: $10 adults; $6 children 5-12; free for children under 5
Sun., October 25 - 11 a.m.
- All-you-can-eat buffet: egg dishes, side dishes, ham, fruit, salads, sweet breads, beverage
- Tickets: $12 adults; $8 children 5-12; free for children under 5
Chicken Parmesan Dinner
Sat., November 14 - 5:30 p.m. & 6:30 p.m. seatings
- Menu: Salad, chicken Parmesan, spaghetti, bread, dessert, beverage
- Tickets: $10 adults; $5 children 6-12; free for children 5 and under
Please make RESERVATIONS for any or all of these events by signing up in Fellowship Hall or by calling the church office at 508.752.7489. Thanks for supporting our fabulous kids!