Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603
Office Hours: 9am - 2 pm
Mon., Wed., Fri.
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Betty Jane,
Hunger is always with us.
Our Food Pantry is continually in use by those
in need. Thus, it is always open to donations of
non-perishable items. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Or pick up one of the specially marked bags in our Narthex or on the stair landing. Bring your donations when you come to worship. They are an offering of thanks to God.
Worship & Events
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. for worship.
A nursery is available for infants through 2-year-olds; parents may watch their fussy children in the nursery and still hear the service. September - May, children aged 3 through high school sit with their parents/guardians in worship until excused to their Sunday School classes. (On Communion Sundays, grades 6-8 remain in the sanctuary throughout the service.) June - August, children attend worship with their parents/guardians. A time for fellowship and refreshments follows worship at 11 a.m. All are welcome. Watch for more information on these and other events which will be posted as details become available. Or contact the church office at email@example.com.
- Sunday, October 16 - FAMILY Worship with Baptism, 10 a.m. (Preceded by Adult Choir practice, 8:45 a.m.; Children's Choir practice, 9:30 a.m.) Fellowship Hour, 11 a.m. Youth Mission Trip 2017 PARENTS' Meeting, 11 a.m. Church World Service CROP Walk, 12 p.m. All children will remain in worship with their parents throughout the service. You can sign up to walk and/or sponsor a walker through the CROP Walk link above.
- Sunday, October 23 - Worship & Sunday School, 10 a.m. (Preceded by Adult Choir practice, 8:45 a.m.; Children's Choir practice, 9:30 a.m.) Fellowship Hour, 11 a.m.
- Tuesday, October 25 - New Member/Inquirers Meeting, 6 p.m.
- Sunday, October 30 - Totenfest Service & Sunday School, 10 a.m. (Preceded by Adult Choir practice, 8:45 a.m.; Children's Choir practice, 9:30 a.m.) Fellowship Hour, 11 a.m. During this service we remember the "saints" who have passed from this life during the year past. (Watch for more info to come.)
Remember a special
person or event.
There are dates available on the flower calendar. Why not provide flowers for the communion table in memory or honor of a loved one or in celebration of a special event? The calendar is posted in the narthex as you enter the church. Add your name to the date you want, fill out a form and leave it and a check ($25/2 vases, $12.50/1 vase) in the inbox outside BJ's office or mail it to the church. You may also bring your own flowers; just be sure to sign up and that the flowers are in place by 9:30 before worship begins.
Friday Evening Support Group helps anyone who is struggling
Designed for anyone dealing with an addiction or a compulsion or with any challenge they find hard to overcome (or for those who care about those who are struggling), this group meets every Friday at 7 p.m. in the church conference room. (Please enter through the side office door.) Come to find support and sympathetic ear. Speak if you wish, but know your words will not be repeated outside the group. Find no judgement, no discrimination - only support. Contact the church office for more information: 508.752.7489 or theplaceof firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday School dives deep!
This year's theme is "Diving Deep"
and classes are using the "Deep Blue"
curriculum, which includes Bible stories
presented through engaging,
age-appropriate activities, music, games, conversations and much more. Our children are learning to live as Christians.
Each 2nd-4th Sunday, children attend worship at 10 a.m. with their parents/guardians until they are excused to go to their classes as follows:
- Preschool (age 3) - Grade 5 are downstairs studying what we can learn from the story of Noah and the flood.
- Grades 6-8 are meeting in the Conference Room upstairs and looking at Bible stories that feature faithful women who made a real difference in God's world.
On each first Sunday of the month, the younger students will begin downstairs and take Communion in Sunday School. Grades 6-8 will attend the full worship service in the sanctuary and will not have class.
Team teachers and other volunteers are always needed. Lessons are pre-planned for teachers. Other volunteers help with arts/crafts, music, dance, holidays, pageant costumes/props and publicity. Contact Director of Christian Education Susan Crimer to volunteer or for more information: email@example.com.
Many thanks . . .
. . . to our sister Jane who
donated the funds to
upgrade our parking lot!
Here is a photo of the
work being done on
August 31.) Walking from
car to worship will now
be much safer! Thank you,
Calling all youth!
and Stephanie are leading the Senior High Youth Group this year for
9th-12th graders. If you are interested in joining, please let them know so they can add you to the contact list. Joanne and Michael are heading up the Junior High Youth Group for 6th-8th graders. Contact them to be on their list.
Coming events for youth include:
- Sunday, October 23 - Jr./Sr. High Youth Meeting, 5-7 p.m. in Fellowship Hall
- Sunday, November 6 - Jr./Sr. High Youth Meeting, 5-7 p.m. in Fellowship Hall
- Saturday, November 19 - Baking Apple Pies for fundraiser, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., church kitchen & Fellowship Hall (orders will be taken soon)
- Sunday, December 4 - All-Church Caroling, 11:30 followed by Youth Christmas Party at Pastor Judy's, approx. 1 p.m.
- Sunday, December 11 - Filling Christmas bags for YOU, Inc. residents, 11:30 a.m.
- Sunday, December 11 - Sunday School Christmas Pageant, 4 p.m., Sanctuary
- Sunday, December 18 - Jr./Sr. High Youth Meeting, 5-7 p.m. in Fellowship Hall
Rally Day was a blessing!
In fact, worship on Sunday, September 11 was a blessing in many ways. The Choirs returned to praise God in song. The children brought backpacks to be blessed for assisting their academic journeys. A prayer shawl was sent on its way with many blessings to a special friend recovering from a serious car accident.
- Saturday, November 5 - New Member/Inquirers Meeting, 11 a.m.
- Thursday, November 10 - New Member/Inquirers Meeting, 6 p.m.
- Sunday, November 13 - Stewardship & New Member Sunday, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, November 20 - Thanksgiving Sunday, 10 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 23 - Thanksgiving Eve Service, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, November 26 - Greening of the Church (for Advent/Christmas season), 9 a.m.
- Thursday, December 8 - Blue Christmas Service, 7 p.m.
- Sunday, December 11 - Christmas Pageant Service, 4 p.m.
- Sunday, December 18 - Christmas Cantata, 10 a.m.
- Saturday, December 24 - Christmas Candlelight Service, 11 p.m.
- Sunday, December 25 - Christmas Day - Please worship at home with your family.
Children give hands-on blessing . . .
On their first day of Sunday School (September 18), the children blessed our Director of Christian Education before her coming surgery. Bless them for caring!
For more photos of this Sunday, visit our
Not just for Joiners and Questioners:
If you are thinking about becoming a member of Hadwen Park Congregational Church, have questions about this family of God or its denomination, have been a member for a while but have some new questions, or just want to meet some folks who might become members, then come to one or all of the following meetings to be held in the Conference Room:
- Tuesday, October 25, 6 p.m.
- Saturday, November 5, 11 a.m.
- Thursday, November 10, 6 p.m.
Refreshments will be served!
Those who are ready to covenant with this body of Christ (commit to sharing in its responsibilities and opportunities), may formally accept membership on Stewardship/New Member Sunday, November 13. For more information, please contact Pastor Judy.
2017 Youth Mission Trip
preparations to start with a meeting for PARENTS only.
If your teenager (at least 14 or entering grade 9 in July 2017) wants to go to next summer's mission trip to Rhode Island, then please join us on Sunday, October 16 right after worship (and before the CROP Walk) in the Conference Room for a brief informational meeting. Deposits for the trips are due to the national office on October 31; come ready to write a check or to just ask questions. For more information, contact the church office: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CROP Walk swag!
You, too, can sport this fashionable rainbow headband. Just join the CROP Walk participants this Sunday, October 16 as they walk to wipe out hunger. (See details at right.)
If you can't walk, you can donate. Click on the link at right or see any walker on Sunday.
Thanks for your support!