Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603 | 508-752-7489
Office Hours: 9 am - 2 pm | Tues., Thurs., Fri.
Get Member Portal HELP | See Portal FAQs
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Sharon,
Worship & Events
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m.
All are welcome!
- Nursery care for infants through 2+ year-olds, staffed by a professional child care worker, is available in the nursery just off the sanctuary. Parents may leave their children at 9:45 and must pick them up no later than 15 minutes after the close of the service.
- Children aged 3 - grade 8 begin in worship with their family and are dismissed to Sunday School after about 15 minutes. Mid-September through mid-May, classes are held during the rest of worship. (On Communion Sundays, children begin in their Sunday School classes and come to the sanctuary for Communion with their families.) Mid-May thru mid-September, children are invited to “Children’s Church” for stories and activities during the sermon time.
- Throughout the year, a time for fellowship and refreshments is held downstairs after worship.
- Monday, September 10, LGBT Asylum Task Force Community Dinner, 6 p.m. (See more info on this page.)
- Saturday, September 15 - Yoga for All with Al, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, September 16 - Worship & Sunday School, 10 a.m. First day of Sunday School! Children begin in worship and are dismissed after a children's message. (The adult choir practices at 9 a.m.)
- Sunday, September 16 - Youth Missions Informational Meeting, 11 a.m.
- Sunday, September 16 - Sr. Youth Group Meeting, following Youth Missions meeting.
- Friday, September 21 - "2&1" Adult Fellowship Potluck Supper & Movie Night, 6 p.m. Bring a generous dish to share and your own table settings. (We don't do dishes!) Movie title TBA. Watch the October newsletter for upcoming 2&1 programs or contact Anne at email@example.com for more information.
- Saturday, September 22 - Boy Scout Popcorn Sales Blitz, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (See more below.)
- Saturday, September 22 - Yoga for All with Al, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, September 23 - LGBT Sunday Worship & Sunday School, 10 a.m. Al Green, director of our LGBT ministry, will preach. The All Nations Chorale will sing.
- Sunday, September 23 - Senior Youth Group Meeting, 11 a.m.
- Saturday, September 29 - Yoga for All with Al, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, September 30 - Worship & Sunday School, 10 a.m. (The adult choir practices at 9 a.m.)
- Sunday, September 30 - Junior Youth Group Meeting, 11 a.m.
Remember a special
person or event.
There are dates available on the flower calendar. Why not provide flowers for the communion table in memory or honor of a loved one or in celebration of a special event? The calendar is posted in the narthex as you enter the church. Add your name to the date you want, fill out a form and leave it and a check ($25/2 vases, $12.50/1 vase) in the inbox outside the church office or mail it to the church. You may also bring your own flowers; just be sure to sign up and that the flowers are in place by 9:30 before worship begins.
HPC Food Pantry Needs Your Help
- Donations: Our Food Pantry is continually in use by those in need. Thus, it is always open to donations of non-perishable items. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Or pick up one of the specially marked bags in our Narthex or on the stair landing. Bring your donations when you come to worship. Or write a check to HPC with "Food Pantry" in the memo line and put it in the offering plate. Think of it as an offering of thanks to God.
- Volunteering: Are you available on Mondays or Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.? Sign up for a day to staff the Pantry. See a description of the need and instructions for signing up on the Food Pantry Page.
Looking ahead . . .
Put these dates on your calendar:
- Saturday, October 27 - LGBT Task Force Gala, DCU Center Ballroom
- Sunday, October 28 - Halloween Celebration, 5-7 p.m.
- Saturday, November 17 - Youth Groups Apple Pie Baking, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sunday, November 18 - Youth Pie Sale!, 11 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 21 - Thanksgiving Eve Service, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, December 1 - Greening of the Church, 10 a.m. til done!
- Sunday, December 9 - All-Church Carolling, after worship
- Saturday, December 15 - Pageant rehearsal, 9-11 a.m.
- Sunday, December 16 - Sunday School Pageant, 4 p.m.
- Saturday, December 22 - Youth Groups Cookie Baking, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sunday, December 23 - Cookie Sale, 11 a.m.
- Monday, December 24 - Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, 11 p.m.
- Sunday, January 20 - Youth Hot Dog Fundraiser
Recent story in The Boston Globe:
We keep making the news!
Channel 3, the local Worcester TV station, aired a segment on the LGBT Asylum Task Force with Pastor Judy and Al Green on Tuesday, June 26. Watch it on YouTube. AND, Worcester's Mayor Joseph Petty interviewed Pastor Judy on his Channel 3 show, too. Catch it also on YouTube.
August 5 was a celebration!
There was a lot to celebrate on Sunday, August 5 - our Youth Missionaries reported on their experiences in Pennsylvania. We welcomed Brett Maguire as our interim minister of music. We heard the God’s word preached by the Rev. Marilyn Wilcox and shared Holy Communion.
Brett is assistant director of the Worcester Chorus and former director of music ministry at Wesley UMC in Worcester. He will be with us through December. Welcome, Brett!
And, there was cake for Coffee Hour in celebration of all of that AND Pastor Judy's birthday, too!
Youth who will be 14 or older next summer and their parents and adults interested in going along as advisors are invited to learn about the work-camp experience, help choose trip dates and location, and ask questions. Come to the conference room after worship on Sunday, September 23.
Scout Troop 22 & Cub Pack 22
Help our Scout Program by purchasing popcorn from any Scout or leader or from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the church on Saturday, September 22. Popcorn can be purchased unpopped (by the package or in microwaveable packets) or popped (flavored or plain) in tubs or tins. Pretzels are also offered. Various sizes are available and cost from $10 to $50. For $30, you can donate popcorn to our military organizations.
Rally Day brought us back for a new year!
Many Protestant churches use the first Sunday of the school year to re-assemble parents, children, longtime members and visiting seekers for a new year of worship and Christian education. And so did we on September 9 - Rally Day! School-bound children and work-bound adults brought backpacks and briefcases for a blessing by the congregation. Under Brett’s direction, the choir sang two lovely and appropriate songs used in Jewish temples at this time of year - Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year.
Clearly, the choir was happy to be back in the chancel. YOU are welcome to join them on Wednesday nights at 7:00 and Sunday mornings at 9:00 a.m. for practice. Join the fun!
2018 Worcester Pride
Members of HPC, Pastor Judy and the LGBT Task Force marched in Worcester's parade on September 8 and staffed booths at the festival on the Worcester Common after the parade.