Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603 | 508-752-7489
Office Hours: 9 am - 2 pm | Tues., Thurs., Fri.
Get Member Portal HELP | See Portal FAQs
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Sharon,
Summer Worship & Events
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. Nursery care for infants through 3-year-olds,
staffed by a professional child care worker,
is available in the nursery just off the sanctuary.
Parents may leave their children at 9:45 and must pick them up no later than 15 minutes after the close of the service. Mid-May thru August, children aged 3 and above are invited to "Children's Church" for stories and activities during the sermon time. At 11 a.m., a time for fellowship and refreshments will be held downstairs. All are welcome! Look for more information on the events below either here or on our Facebook page or contact the church office.
- Monday, July 23 thru Friday, July 27 - Vacation Bible School, 9 a.m. to noon each day (See more below.)
- Saturday, July 28 - Yoga for All with Al, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, July 29 - Saturday, August 4 - Youth Missions Trip to Imperial, PA to repair the homes of elderly, disabled and low-income people. Among other projects, they will paint, repair decks and build wheelchair ramps. This is an important life-changing service for both our youth and the residents they serve.
- Sunday, July 29 - Youth Mission Trip participants and leaders depart for Imperial, PA, 3 a.m.
- Sunday, July 29 - Worship with Reception of New Members & Children's Church, 10 a.m. (9 a.m. All-Ages Pick-up Choir - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
- Saturday, August 4 - Youth Missionaries return, p.m.
- Sunday, August 5 - Worship with Communion & Children's Church, 10 a.m. The Rev. Marilyn Wilcox, preaching. (9 a.m. All-Ages Pick-up Choir - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
- Saturday, August 11 - Health Fair sponsored by the Health & Wellness Committee, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Watch for more information.
- Sunday, August 12 - Worship & Children's Church, 10 a.m. (9 a.m. All-Ages Pick-up Choir - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
- Saturday, August 18 - Yoga for All with Al, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, August 19 - Worship & Children's Church, 10 a.m. (9 a.m. All-Ages Pick-up Choir - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
- Saturday, August 25 - Yoga for All with Al, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, August 26 - Worship & Children's Church, 10 a.m. (9 a.m. All-Ages Pick-up Choir - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
Remember a special
person or event.
There are dates available on the flower calendar. Why not provide flowers for the communion table in memory or honor of a loved one or in celebration of a special event? The calendar is posted in the narthex as you enter the church. Add your name to the date you want, fill out a form and leave it and a check ($25/2 vases, $12.50/1 vase) in the inbox outside the church office or mail it to the church. You may also bring your own flowers; just be sure to sign up and that the flowers are in place by 9:30 before worship begins.
HPC Food Pantry
Needs Your Help
- Donations: Our Food Pantry is continually in use by those in need. Thus, it is always open to donations of non-perishable items. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Or pick up one of the specially marked bags in our Narthex or on the stair landing. Bring your donations when you come to worship. Or write a check to HPC with "Food Pantry" in the memo line and put it in the offering plate. Think of it as an offering of thanks to God.
- Volunteering: Are you available on Mondays or Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.? Sign up for a day to staff the Pantry. See a description of the need and instructions for signing up on the Food Pantry Page.
Looking ahead . . .
Put these dates on your calendar:
- Saturday, August 11 - Health Fair for our church and the community, 10 a.m. (Watch for more on this.)
- Monday, September 3 - HPC Annual Labor Day Picnic, beginning at 10 a.m. Watch for details.
- Saturday, September 8 - Worcester Pride Day
- Sunday, September 9 - Rally Day & Bring a Friend Day
- Sunday, September 23 - LGBT Sunday & the start of Sunday School
- Saturday, October 27 - LGBT Task Force Gala, DCU Center Ballroom
God's Blessings to one
of our own!
Sarah Sund-Lussier, was approved for
ordination on June 6 by the Central
Association of the Mass. Conference of the
United Church of Christ after successfully presenting her ordination paper to the Association's Ecclesiastical Council. Sarah, a member of HPC, and recent graduate of Andover Newton Theological School with a Master of Divinity Degree, is our interim Christian education director. We are so proud of her!
While you are away this summer . . .
Please remember, while you may go on vacation, our bills do not. Please keep your gifts and pledges to Hadwen Park Church up to date so we can keep the lights on and pay our employees. Thank you so much!
Vacation Bible School 2018
Monday-Friday, July 23-27, 9 a.m. - noon at HPC
For ages 4 thru grade 8
“Embrace the Fruits of the Spirit”
Using a curriculum developed by the United Church of Christ and the Disciples of Christ denominations, we’ll focus on love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control by looking at real stories of children from Caribbean countries. Our kids will hear letters from the Caribbean kids, do crafts, play games and sing - as well as enjoy snacks!
Volunteer leaders are most welcome! Contact Sarah for more information.
Sing this summer!
Adults and children who love to sing
or want to learn how are encouraged to
come to the sanctuary at 9 a.m.
any/every Sunday this summer. With Pastor Judy at the piano, the All-Ages Pick-Up Choir will learn an anthem, then offer it to God during the morning service. All are welcome for as many summer Sundays are you are available.
Recent story in The Boston Globe:
We keep making the news!
Channel 3, the local Worcester TV station, aired a segment on the LGBT Asylum Task Force with Pastor Judy and Al Green on Tuesday, June 26. Watch it on YouTube. AND, Worcester's Mayor Joseph Petty interviewed Pastor Judy on his Channel 3 show, too. Catch it also on YouTube.
HPC brimming with gifts of the spirit
July 15 was a Sunday rich with God-given talent: those who read scripture, those who sang (as the All Nations Choir, the All-Ages Pick-Up Choir, and as soloists), those who wrote and presented music and lyrics, an almost ordained preacher who grew within our midst, and an ordained preacher who can fill in as a choir director and accompanist. Our Maker was surely pleased with the praise and thanksgiving offered by these creatures.
HPC members and asylum seekers joined clergy and other supporters (many pictured here outside the Moakley federal courthouse) to fill the courtroom with supportive faces at the habeas corpus petition hearing in Boston on July 17 of a lesbian from Uganda who is seeking asylum. Attorney Melanie Shapiro is working to convince the judge to allow the asylum seeker to stay and compile her asylum claim. Once the judge decides, the woman will have 72 hours of warning before her deportation if the judge rules against her. In the meantime, she remains in detention. Pastor Judy has met with her and asks for your prayers.
Witnessing for justice . . .
A lot of splashing and eating went on . . .
. . . when this crew and others gathered to swim and enjoy a picnic on July 21 at Buffumville Park in Charlton at the Health and Wellness Committee's Mid-Summer Family Fun Day. Thanks to the committee for arranging this event.
Hands were raised to bless the Youth Missionaries and their leaders
The Sunday before four HPC youth and two advisors drive 9 hours to Imperial, PA, God's blessing for safety and success was invoked. The group will help rehab houses for the elderly and others who could lose their homes because they no longer meet building codes. They carry on mission begun by our youth several years ago. Godspeed!