Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
6 Clover Street, Worcester MA 01603 | 508-752-7489
Office Hours: 9 am - 2 pm | Tues., Thurs., Fri.
Get Member Portal HELP | See Portal FAQs
Welcome to Hadwen Park Congregational Church
United Church of Christ
We believe that all people of every age, physical or mental ability, body image, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, social-economic background, family construct and faith tradition are equal in the eyes of God and this congregation. When entering our sanctuary, you will be greeted with a smile, an extended hand and feel the love of Christ surrounding you.
We are an Open and Affirming congregation.
Here, you are a stranger, but once.
Written by the Social Justice Task Force
Approved by Hadwen Park Church Trustees, 4/7/04
Want more information?
Call or write our church secretary, Sharon,
Summer Worship & Events
Join us every Sunday at 10 a.m. Nursery care for infants through 3-year-olds,
staffed by a professional child care worker,
is available in the nursery just off the sanctuary.
Parents may leave their children at 9:45 and must pick them up no later than 15 minutes after the close of the service. Mid-May thru mid-September, children aged 3 and above are invited to "Children's Church" for stories and activities during the sermon time. During the rest of the year, Sunday school for pre-school through 8th grade is held during worship. At 11 a.m., a time for fellowship and refreshments will be held downstairs. All are welcome! Look for more information on the events below either here or on our Facebook page or contact the church office.
- Saturday, August 18 - Yoga for All with Al, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, August 19 - Worship & Children's Church, 10 a.m. (9 a.m. All-Ages Pick-up Choir - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
- Saturday, August 25 - Yoga for All with Al, 10 a.m.
- Sunday, August 26 - Worship & Children's Church, 10 a.m. (9 a.m. All-Ages Pick-up Choir - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
- Wednesday, August 29 - Adult Choir Practices begin, at 7 p.m. New singers welcome. Come meet our amazing interim minister of music!
- Sunday, September 2 - Worship & Children's Church, 10 a.m. (9 a.m. All-Ages Pick-up Choir - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
- Monday, September 3 - Annual Labor Day All-Church Picnic, 12-7 p.m., Salem Covenant Church Camp, Charlton. Watch for more information.
- Saturday, September 8 - HPC at Worcester Pride Parade, gather at 10 a.m. for 11 a.m. parade.
- Sunday, September 9 - Rally Day/Welcome Sunday - Worship & Children's Church, 10 a.m. Come back to church if you've been away over the summer; register your children for Sunday School; bring friends! (9 a.m. All-Ages Pick-up Choir - Please be prompt.) Children will leave halfway thru the service to explore spiritual practices.
- Monday, September 10, LGBT Asylum Task Force Community Dinner, 6 p.m. (See more info on this page.)
- Sunday, September 16 - Worship & Sunday School, 10 a.m. First day of Sunday School! Children begin in worship and are dismissed after a children's message. (The adult choir practices at 8:30 a.m. The Kids Choir rehearses at 9:30 sharp.)
- Sunday, September 23 - LGBT Sunday Worship & Sunday School, 10 a.m. Al Green, director of our LGBT ministry, will preach. The All Nations Chorus will sing.
- Sunday, September 30 - Worship & Sunday School, 10 a.m. (The adult choir practices at 8:30 a.m. The Kids Choir rehearses at 9:30 sharp.)
Remember a special
person or event.
There are dates available on the flower calendar. Why not provide flowers for the communion table in memory or honor of a loved one or in celebration of a special event? The calendar is posted in the narthex as you enter the church. Add your name to the date you want, fill out a form and leave it and a check ($25/2 vases, $12.50/1 vase) in the inbox outside the church office or mail it to the church. You may also bring your own flowers; just be sure to sign up and that the flowers are in place by 9:30 before worship begins.
HPC Food Pantry Needs Your Help
- Donations: Our Food Pantry is continually in use by those in need. Thus, it is always open to donations of non-perishable items. Please remember the Pantry when doing your grocery shopping. See our list of needed items. Or pick up one of the specially marked bags in our Narthex or on the stair landing. Bring your donations when you come to worship. Or write a check to HPC with "Food Pantry" in the memo line and put it in the offering plate. Think of it as an offering of thanks to God.
- Volunteering: Are you available on Mondays or Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.? Sign up for a day to staff the Pantry. See a description of the need and instructions for signing up on the Food Pantry Page.
Looking ahead . . .
Put these dates on your calendar:
- Saturday, October 27 - LGBT Task Force Gala, DCU Center Ballroom
- Wednesday, November 21 - Thanksgiving Eve Service, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, December 1 - Greening of the Church, 10 a.m. til done!
- Sunday, December 9 - All-Church Carolling, after worship
- Sunday, December 16 - Sunday School Pageant, 4 p.m.
- Monday, December 24 - Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, 11 p.m.
While you are away this summer . . .
Please remember, while you may go on vacation, our bills do not. Please keep your gifts and pledges to Hadwen Park Church up to date so we can keep the lights on and pay our employees. Thank you so much!
Vacation Bible School went to the islands
VBS 2018 was a great success! Our kids and new friends explored the "Fruits of the Spirit" through stories, games, food and the culture of the Caribbean! That included sampling food, creating a "boat," a little slip-and-slide, and many other activities.
Many thanks to all the volunteers who made this week of fun and learning possible.
Recent story in The Boston Globe:
Sing this summer!
Adults and children who love to sing
or want to learn how are encouraged to
come to the sanctuary at 9 a.m.
any/every Sunday this summer. With our new interim minister of music (Brett Maguire) at the keybord, the All-Ages Pick-Up Choir will learn an anthem, then offer it to God during the morning service. All are welcome for as many summer Sundays are you are available.
We keep making the news!
Channel 3, the local Worcester TV station, aired a segment on the LGBT Asylum Task Force with Pastor Judy and Al Green on Tuesday, June 26. Watch it on YouTube. AND, Worcester's Mayor Joseph Petty interviewed Pastor Judy on his Channel 3 show, too. Catch it also on YouTube.
HPC members and asylum seekers joined clergy and other supporters (many pictured here outside the Moakley federal courthouse) to fill the courtroom with supportive faces at the habeas corpus petition hearing in Boston on July 17 of a lesbian from Uganda who is seeking asylum. Attorney Melanie Shapiro is working to convince the judge to allow the asylum seeker to stay and compile her asylum claim. Once the judge decides, the woman will have 72 hours of warning before her deportation if the judge rules against her. In the meantime, she remains in detention. Pastor Judy has met with her and asks for your prayers.
Witnessing for justice . . .
A lot of splashing and eating went on . . .
. . . when this crew and others gathered to swim and enjoy a picnic on July 21 at Buffumville Park in Charlton at the Health and Wellness Committee's Mid-Summer Family Fun Day. Thanks to the committee for arranging this event.
Our Missionaries return!
July 29-August 4, four HPC teenagers and two adults traveled to Imperial, Pennsylvania, for a week of volunteer work. Split up into six different work crews, they rehabbed the homes of elders and differently abled and economically challenged folks. At night, they gathered with all the crews for worship and Bible study as well as entertainment and fun. Huzzah and well done, thou good and faithful servants! We’re proud of you!
August 5 was a celebration!
There was a lot to celebrate on Sunday, August 5 - our Youth Missionaries reported on their experiences in Pennsylvania. We welcomed Brett Maguire as our interim minister of music. We heard the God’s word preached by the Rev. Marilyn Wilcox and shared Holy Communion.
Brett is assistant director of the Worcester Chorus and former director of music ministry at Wesley UMC in Worcester. He will be with us through December. Welcome, Brett!
And, there was cake for Coffee Hour in celebration of all of that AND Pastor Judy's birthday, too!
Welcome, new members!
Seven dedicated Christians transferred their church membership to HPC on July 29. They all come to us with rich backgrounds in the ministries of the church - in music, committee work, Christian education, prison visitation, greeting and more. Welcome Paul, Susan, Tery, Cheryl, Bob, Carol and Randy!